Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging, have I made a mistake?  (Read 1902 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Tagging, have I made a mistake?
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:56:00 pm »
Just entering updating my ScotEid database etc and I think I may have made a mistake.

We only had 2 lambs this year, one we are keeping for a wether companion, he was double tagged. The other lamb has always been destined for the table, so just one tag applied. However, I have used the yellow EID tag from the paired ones, not a specific slaughter tag. Will this be a problem?

Thanks

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Re: Tagging, have I made a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 03:15:43 pm »
The good news is that after a undignified episode of bin diving I have found the matching management tag which had very helpfully been in a bag so is not dirty. So should I disinfect that and apply it just before he goes to abattoir or will just yellow be ok?

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 03:46:14 pm »
I can’t speak for your abattoir but I’ve sent lambs to slaughter and through the primestock ring with the single yellow EID tag (without its matching SET pair) with no problems.  Best to check with the abattoir though.  Or at least, have the pair with you, and the applicator, when you take it in ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
I'd just stick it in just in case... I wouldn't want to be tagging at the abattoir but that's just me  :)

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04:10 pm »
The other lamb has always been destined for the table, so just one tag applied. However, I have used the yellow EID tag from the paired ones, not a specific slaughter tag. Will this be a problem?

Put the other tag in now so it's double tagged and take in as usual.  So long as the tags match it's fine, and the normal way of doing it.  Not sure why you would want to keep the unused half of a pair?

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:05 am »
The other lamb has always been destined for the table, so just one tag applied. However, I have used the yellow EID tag from the paired ones, not a specific slaughter tag. Will this be a problem?

Put the other tag in now so it's double tagged and take in as usual.  So long as the tags match it's fine, and the normal way of doing it.  Not sure why you would want to keep the unused half of a pair?

I misunderstood the slaughter tag rules and thought they only needed a yellow, didn't realise it was a totally different tag.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:33:38 am »
I believe a slaughter tag only has the flock number on and no animal individual number.  If you use just the yellow from a pair it will show both numbers and appear that the second visual only tag is missing.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:34:22 am »
It’s not totally different.  The numbers are in the same sequence, just aren’t printed on the outside of the slaughter tag.  I can’t see it makes a blind bit of difference to the abattoir or mart, but thought it best to have the pair with you, and the applicator, just in case of a jobsworth.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS