Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting sheep - movement? Ear tags? etc...  (Read 3570 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Getting sheep - movement? Ear tags? etc...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 06:37:02 pm »
Okay thanks.  That is all very helpful!
One of our pigs lost a tag once.  So I know it happens.  Just to be sure on the sheep front ....If they ever lost their tags, I would have to replace them with red tags only?  And these tags can have my flock number/cph on it?  Or the numbers they came with?  Thanks

The tags that the farmer must put in the sheep before they arrive with you are their tags for life. If they lose them you buy replacement tags in red with the same information on them. The farmer should have plenty of tags plus the applicator to apply them.  If you put your information on them and have a visit from trading standards you would have to explain how you have sheep without parents!

With pigs they do not need a tag under the age of 12 months to move between two holdings so most people finishing pigs don't put them in until they go to slaughter, so you don't have to worry about lost ones.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Getting sheep - movement? Ear tags? etc...
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 07:08:33 pm »
TAGGING AGH !!  glad to see most have got it correct , any sheep brought onto your holding that looses a tag You have two options   order an EXACT REPLICA with the sellers flock number and the sheep's individual number to match the tag still in the sheep  OR  you can buy RED eid pair tags with YOUR flock number and individual numbers and replace both tags
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:55:15 pm by shep53 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS