Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: looking for natural rat control - North Fife  (Read 1978 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
looking for natural rat control - North Fife
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:26 pm »
This year's been a bumper year for them, I'm sure they're even nesting in the ivy and up some trees  :tired: :tired:  - we have sparrowhawks taking them and probably owls as well so I don't want to mess with poison now. Anyone local with ferrets who would be willing to come out and hunt them, if yes, how much would that cost?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: looking for natural rat control - North Fife
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:14:31 pm »
I have a rat problem in my garage (hen and duck house not for the car).  I bought a couple of plastic easy used traps - the wooden ones were impossible to set with my hands not being strong - I can used my feet to set these. 

They are preloaded with bait and you can buy a tube of it to re-bait it.  So far I've only caught/killed two so I think the rest of them must be staying out in the fine weather.  Not seen any sign of them either.

I know where they are nesting in winter - tarpaulins over the dog runs with glasswool insulation, so a friend's son is going to take that down next month and hopefully they won't want to stay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:40:34 am »
The professional rat baiting boxes that I have can also be fitted with spring traps (internally) in lieu of poison, so the trap is kept well away from dogs/cats etc.  Then bait with peanut butter or something similar. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:11:05 am »
The professional rat baiting boxes that I have can also be fitted with spring traps (internally) in lieu of poison, so the trap is kept well away from dogs/cats etc.  Then bait with peanut butter or something similar.

Where are these available?

It certainly is a major rat year.  Unfortunately our two terriers are really too old to keep them under control now, although one did catch a young rat and is still very proud of himself for it.  We also use an air gun, with a certain degree of success.  The problem is bird feeders - all our livestock feed is kept in metal containers, but the birds tip lots of grain over the edge of their feeders and the rats pick it up underneath.  We will slab under the feeders so it can be swept every evening, but now the rats are here they won't go away in a hurry, so we are looking for another prong of attack.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:18:45 pm »

I have a bait box, which I have used previously with some success. My concern is the carrion of dead rats or poisoned rats getting eaten by owls and Hawks. Trying to be more mindful about wildlife.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:24:06 pm »

I have a bait box, which I have used previously with some success. My concern is the carrion of dead rats or poisoned rats getting eaten by owls and Hawks. Trying to be more mindful about wildlife.

The bait box [member=175813]Maysie[/member] is recommending sounds as if you can use a trap inside, with poison free bait, so any dead rats are not accessible to wildlife or pets/livestock.  This is what is making me curious as we currently use poisoned bait traps in the attic, but we have never found a poisoned corpse outside.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:29:24 pm »
^^^ That is correct.

I have just had a quick Google and cant see them on there, so I will take a look at mine later today and see if I can find any branding on them.   

We have the same issue with Owls, Buzzards and Red Kites, So I really don't like using poisons. 

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »

What's your success rate with those, Maysie?

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
We certainly managed to get our rat problem under control, but of course I do not know how many we did NOT get! 

I would say that the traps are less effective than traditional (good quality) poison, but they are still a very useful tool in the armoury when poisons should not be used. 

Obviously all the usual tricks apply still with regards to getting them used to the boxes for a few days, placing them around edges etc etc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS