Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie - Emu query!  (Read 1136 times)

k9vms

• Joined Jul 2018
Newbie - Emu query!
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:44:41 pm »
Hi all.

Hubby and I moved to Cirencester for 'the good life' a year ago and only have chickens at the moment.  :chook:  We are looking to rent a field/paddock to keep a breeding pair of emus and possibly some alpacas and/or goats - predominantly as pets, but perhaps long term for the fibre as a way to cover the rental/food/husbandry costs.

Firstly, does anybody else rent a field for their livestock and, if so, what kind of contract or arrangements do you have with the person you rent from?  As none of the animals are grazers as such, do we need a special kind of arrangement?

Secondly, how feasible is it to live away from your livestock?  Are we mad to be considering it?  And madder still to be considering having emus?  :-\

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Newbie - Emu query!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:56:44 am »
 :wave: I don’t know the answers to your questions but wanted to say welcome to the four. I’m sure someone will be along who can answer you.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:47:09 am »

There use to be a emu farm in Berkshire its now horse Emu need high fencing they seem to run and jump
    you will also need a Large egg cup https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/excited.gif

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »
DenisCooper on here appears to keep emus.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS