Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat boxes  (Read 4495 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Re: Meat boxes
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »
Thank you all for some really useful opinions and advice as always and thank you for the links. Yes to f&f I would be quite happy just passing over a plastic bag but if, as is our hope, we get customers building up from our local area (as our flock grows) I would just feel better if it were presented better. It does sound though like I’m going to have to get the abattoir butcher to do this at a cost rather than do it myself. I just saw that the butcher attached to the abattoir sells half High Peak lambs at £69.99 so that rather limits my pricing! Bet they’re not as big as my Ryelands though! It’s all a learning curve. If we can break even on the animals within the next 3 years we are getting somewhere.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Meat boxes
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
Cambee, I should have said as well, don't whatever you do under-price them, or you'll paint yourself into a corner. We've been putting our prices up by £1/kg each year to try and get to where we should have been to start with, and folks get snotty.
If only we'd said "normal price £15/kg, but we're running a special offer if you order by the end of the month, at £10/kg", I'm sure we'd sell more easily, and would have more pricing flexibility year on year.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS