Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats on Danillon  (Read 1943 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Goats on Danillon
« on: July 27, 2018, 11:40:22 am »
Has anyone else got a goat on Danillion? I have a Boer cross, wether, 8yrs old who went totally lame on one leg a few weeks ago. He doesn't have great feet and I thought it was an underrun sole but couldn't find anything. His knee is very grindy and clicky when you stretch it out and straighten it, but flexing it doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort.

Vets have been and agree with me, foot is fine and its most probably an arthritic knee, they would need to x-ray to confirm. Advised to try him on Danillon, high dose of 1/2 a sachet twice daily for 4 days, then reduce if he improves.

It took about 10 days to get to the stage where I could reduce the dose but he seems fine on 1/2 a day now. Still lame, but weight bearing and happy. Its still a very high dose though! I won't keep him on it indefinitely, but wonder what the long term effects will be, for such a high dose?

I'd like to keep him around for the rest of the summer as he's coping, but wouldn't keep him over the winter when they need to spend a lot of time in because of the weather and rain.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Goats on Danillon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:43:42 am »
Thanks Scarlet.Dragon, that's the sort of info I was looking for. He's now down to 1/3 of a sachet a day and still lame, but at an acceptable level. I think I'll continue for another week or so and take him off it and see how he is. I was hesitant to use the danillon, but the alternative was PTS, so really had nothing to loose.

Hope your pony is totally recovered :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS