Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caterpillar Problem  (Read 4402 times)

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Caterpillar Problem
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:50 am »
Hi.
I have just checked my veggie garden and all my brassicas, well most of them are covered in eggs and caterpillars.  I have removed as many as I can and have also had to spray the plants with a bug spray.
I have Googled insect mesh and the price of it is ridiculus, any ideas what I could use next year as it is too late for this year now.  We live part way up a hill and are very exposed to winds so what ever I use will  have to be securely pinned down.  Any ideas?? ??? :bfly:
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

rustyme

Re: Caterpillar Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »
hello Elaine,
                if your plot is too big to just rub them off by hand, then you could try a biological killer such as the  nemasys  range. I have used the nemaslug one and it works very well . If you need lots it can get a bit pricey , but it lasts for some time . Everything has gone very dear nowdays , so on the whole it is all handwork now for me. However , now and then I have to admit defeat!!! as with the slugs, and get a control . I got mine from chase organics, but it is available elsewhere. Below is nemasys' web link , hope it is of some help to you :

http://www.nemasysinfo.com/

cheers

Russ

ps; you could also make up a framework cage and cover it in 1/4" plastic netting , such as they use for fruit etc. That would keep out the cabbage white butterfly . It would also last for a few years if looked after.

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Re: Caterpillar Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:17:20 pm »
Hi Russ,
thanks for that, I checked out the website, I also have the Chase Organics book.
In the end they had a squirt of Fairy liquid as I had run out of Bug spray.  They are not too bad now, I brush them off with an old paint brush and bin them.  I have bought some netting now for next year and Stuart is going to build a frame work for it. My veggie plot is bout 30 metres by 8 metres, a fair size,and I have a large number of brassicas which have been attacked.
It's the first time I have grown veggies etc so I will know for next year along with all the problems that have occurred.  Knowledge is wonderful thing.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS