Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storing cordial  (Read 5137 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Storing cordial
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:25 pm »
Just made some black currant cordial (glorious colour). It’s been bottled in sterilised glass bottles. The recipe involved adding some citric acid. I’ll put some in the freezer for long term future consumption. But how long would you otherwise expect it to store in a cupboard and in the fridge?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Storing cordial
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:07:48 pm »
We freeze ours. An open container lasts maybe a month in the fridge - but it's used so quickly it's hard to tell  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:50 pm »
Yes, I just tasted some of last year's berries quite alcoholic blackcurrant cordial hic  Should have frozen it  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:53:14 pm »
From what happened to my brother Bills  black current cordial.
If it is made with a lot of sugar and stopped from fermenting with a Camden / Campden tablet it tends to develop a sort of cured rubber / sulpherous taint in the nose & the tongue after it's about four years old.
 The colour of the content also changes to a sort of deep reddish tinted malt vinegar colour even if the bottles have been stored in a cool dark place .

It does make a good liqueur if you add more syrup solution in small charges once the main fermentation slows down , you can get it up to 28 %  ABV proof if your scientific , agitate the solution after every recharge and are prepared to take several months doing it . Adding a desert spoon of glycerin & a half bottle of quality brandy to a five gallon container helps make it really smooth but with the glycerin it's not good if you have serous heart problems . 
I got well & truly rat eyed with big  bruv  Bill,  his wife & my lass one Christmas as we supped two well aged well fermented bottles of it  .. No headaches or hangovers for any of us whatsoever in the morning .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:37:36 pm »
You can pasteurise cordial so that it'll store in the cupboard for a lot longer.

We have one of the Finnish juice extractors that pasteurises as you make the cordial but you can pasteurise on the hob too.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS