Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Irrigation supplier - any recommendations?  (Read 1141 times)

ojfarmer

• Joined Jul 2018
Irrigation supplier - any recommendations?
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »
Hi all,

My first post here.....

I have recently taken on a small plot with existing (but very old!) greenhouses and I am looking to install a drip-tube system to take care of watering automatically, as far as possible.

Although my long term plan is to fit rainwater harvesting, that is going to take more time to do!.  The site has mains water so my short term plan is to install a holding tank with a simple ballcock valve to keep it topped up.... this tank will gravity feed irrigation hose to the greenhouses through a filter & simple timer.  Having done a bit of research, I know roughly what to buy, but need some guidance on specific components; can anyone recommend an irrigation equipment supplier - preferably in the Bucks area, or Devon area, who I could go and see for advice?  Alternatively a good supplier based anywhere who are willing to provide advice over the phone pre-purchase.

Thanks for reading my post - and I would appreciate any recommendations.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: Irrigation supplier - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:32:16 am »
https://cityirrigation.co.uk/

Is a company I have used previously

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:34:36 pm »
Hi ojfarmer.  I'm sure any good irrigation supplier (leaving aside garden centres offering a few bits !!) would be able to offer sound advice over the phone if you can't manage a face-to-face.

I'm an irrigation novice, but, for what it's worth, I've just bought a Liquid Lever Ltd kit (modified to meet my needs) + a totally bespoke top-up purchase to extend it.  I'm extremely happy with my choice (see Gravity fed irrigation thread in "Techniques & Skills").  LLL manufacture and sell their kits direct (and only advertise a range of kits on the web).  System might not meet your needs, but I am really rather impressed so I'm mentioning it.

This was my first irri' system purchase.  I specifically needed to be able to move irri' sections single-handedly and modify easily:  LLL's system was the one that best met those criteria as far as I could make out.

Again, might not meet your needs.  AND they are based in Hull!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:37:40 pm by arobwk »

ojfarmer

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:35:13 am »
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post and your replies - very much appreciated.  I will follow-up on these leads.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 07:37:28 pm »
Further to:  if, ojfarmer, you do check out Liquid Lever, they run 2 websites - "Liquid Lever" & "tankfedirrigation".  I seem to think the LL web-site has been updated recently. 
Both sites refer to components under development/coming on line, but they differ in their coverage of new components.  I am particularly intrigued by the LL website reference to a new LL Valve - they say "The LL Valve is a moisture-activated emitter - it responds to levels of moisture on the soil around a plant".  I wonder how much they will cost in due course!?
[If I seem to be harking on about Liquid Lever's system ont' forum, please be assured that I have no association with the company what so ever and I paid full price for my purchases (although they did throw in a few 5mm Tee connectors with my 1st modified kit purchase because I had omitted to order any and they obviously knew I would need some - that was nice cos I did need them!)]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:39:17 pm by arobwk »

ojfarmer

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:00:43 am »
Thanks very much, arobwk; much appreciated.  Going to do some research this weekend and will update on how I get on..

ojfarmer

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:30:01 am »
arobwk - thanks for highlighting your earlier post/thread in the 'Techniques & Skills' section....I have a couple of queries having read that, which I'll post on that thread.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS