Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worms and goats !!  (Read 4501 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Worms and goats !!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:43:35 pm »

Well I have (though not recently) used Oramec (drench) on my goats and used the 7 day withdrawal time, and we are still here to tell the tale (and worm-free as well!)

I personally would use the milk after about 2 weeks - but that is for twice a day milking. If you are milking less you may well end up with more residues.

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:31 pm »
Not very happy at the moment with the vets !! I’ve expressed my upset regarding giving a wormer which has a 60 days withdrawal ... I should have been told before not after !
They are now looking into finding a wormer which only has a 7 days withdrawal period !!
They have said 60 days as research has shown still in animals system ( cow ) up to 60 days so they recommend the same to any animal who have had that wormer !

Dare I risk using the milk in say 14 days time ...?? Ahhhh decisions !

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »
Also I asked if I could use the milk for soap ? The vet said “no” any thoughts ??? Surely it would be ok in soap ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 10:34:48 pm »
Of course it should be ok in soap, the milk would also be ok to feed to any kids or other animals (I don't feed it to them after Antibiotics though, but wormer should be ok). Withdrawal is very clearly for drinking milk. I would also think the saponification process denatures the milk and will destroy any wormer residues.

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:58 pm »
Thank you Anke... I thought the same and perhaps my vet being over cautious !!
At am wits end
Thank you again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS