Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewes with no milk  (Read 4290 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: ewes with no milk
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »
This really is one where each of us has to make our own minds up in the circumstances in front of us. 

I will just say this, though.  I have never once said, “Oh I am really glad I gave that ewe that had the mastitis another year.”  I’ve said the opposite on more than one occasion. :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:45 am »

I will just say this, though.  I have never once said, “Oh I am really glad I gave that ewe that had the mastitis another year.”  I’ve said the opposite on more than one occasion. :/

''Look for a reason to cull not a reason to keep'' ----if you keep that in mind you will soon enough have a problem free flock

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »
Slightly off the main point but when you all say ‘cull’ do you mean abattoir cull and eat or do you mean cull and go to be incinerated? Eg. With an old ewe 6 years plus? Just thinking ahead as some of our starter flock are that age?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:40 pm »
Cull = send to market in the cull pens/ring for someone else to buy OR sell direct to abattoir IF fit enough to travel and go into the food chain. If they aren’t fit to travel (lame etc) then cull with the knackerman on farm.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »
I sell all my lambs and ewes to a big buyer, Cull ewes are for all the processed lamb products, ready meals, kababs etc. When ewes aren't fit for breeding they still have a value. Fallen stock is a different thing, anything that's too ill to travel, gets PTS by fallen stock or a vet if its in a lot of discomfort/pain, then that will be incinerated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS