Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox attack - do alpacas really keep foxes away?  (Read 6722 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Fox attack - do alpacas really keep foxes away?
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »
We lost ten lovely chickens yesterday to a fox who attacked at lunchtime and killed them in such a short space of time, a real massacre and very upsetting. We do let our hens free-range all day although we're in and out a lot and have two (small) noisy dogs.
Anyway, now we have to decide what to do - and alpacas have been suggested but before we seriously consider this big undertaking I'd like to know whether this really would protect our birds. This is the first fox attack we've had in the four years we've been here but we want to ensure it's the last.
Thanks very much for any input.
It's just occurred to me that I possibly should have posted this in a different place but as it's chickens I need to protect I hope it's okay.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fox attack - do alpacas really keep foxes away?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:04 pm »
It’s probably worth posting in Camelids to get the views of the alpaca fraternity  ;)

I’ve heard that a sole alpaca will flock with and therefore protect sheep, but that if there’s more than one alpaca (which there always should be, as a herd animal), they flock together and may or may not provide some deterrence to whatever might attack the sheep.  Whether the same would apply to a flock of chickens I have no idea, I’m afraid. 

I do know that alpaca temperament can belie the doe-eyed looks, and taking on a couple these large animals is not something that should be undertaken lightly.  Not least you have to find someone who can come and shear them annually - and it’s a different kettle of fish to shearing sheep, so you do need to find someone with the experience and equipment. 

Sorry you have lost some hens.  It’s a terrible shock and one looks at every possibility to protect them, doesn’t one :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:48:08 pm »
I bought some Emu's instead of alpacas to prevent against foxes. From what I've seen the Emus will get pretty aggressive if they feel threatened and won't shy away from giving the fox a run for his money.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:45:10 am »
A friend had a llama to protect her sheep, but it wouldn't let her dogs anywhere near them and tried to kick the small dog to death.  Not much difference between a dog and a fox.

We lost a dozen hens a couple of years ago in a middle of the day attack.  The fox was young and was not remotely scared of humans, so possibly a town export  :rant: .  It was lying on the grass puffing away, exhausted after its jolly game - I really wished I had had a gun with me.  Our hens free range wherever they want to, but tend to stick to about 3 or 4 acres nearest to their house.  I don't have an answer to how to keep free range hens safe, when this is our choice of how to keep our birds.  We have some geese now and I think they would go for a fox, but they've not been tested.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:56:11 pm »
We have lost three chickens over the last 8 months to foxes, two in the last month. Like you we let them free range because a couple of months free is better then no months after the battery cages (we now only get ex-cons).

Like you we have been looking at getting some Alpaca's but have not bitten the bullet yet. I feel this is something for 2019 though and would love to hear your experience if you do get them or any one else who have them
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:44 pm »
Isn't electric poultry netting cheaper in the long run?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 05:21:28 pm »
Anke has a point. Our hens free range in a small orchard but it has two lengths of poultry netting around it. It is dark green so doesn't look too out of place and it is cheaper than buying and keeping alpacas.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »
You’d need a reliable source of electricity, though, not have it shortcircuiting or have other animals get caught up in it. Our neighbour’s alpacas have been 100% reliable for the 3.5 years they’ve been there despite numerous attacks before their arrival, and whatever the weather including heavy snow, plus no hedgehogs get caught in netting and electrocuted.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
You don't need netting just 3 or 4 wire strands going round your plot . At about 12 to 15 inches high. vary the height and spacing Hedgehogs don't get tangled you can strim underneath . Simple

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS