Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carcass Collection  (Read 2750 times)

EJC

• Joined Apr 2018
Carcass Collection
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:36:33 am »
Looking for some advice.

We are soon to be having our first pigs go to slaughter and to keep costs down were looking to do the butchery ourselves (they are for personal consumption).

We have read and seen online many instances of carcass collection being accommodated in the back of standard cars/vans, however our local abattoir has advised us that collection should be in a refrigerated vehicle. We understand this would be the case if the meat was to enter the wider food chain with the cold chain, but had thought there would be more flexibility if for self consumption?

Could anyone advise us if this is true or a misunderstanding (based in Scotland)?

Also, for anyone else that home butchers, how do you collect your carcass?

Are there delivery services available from some abattoirs or private services if self collection is not allowed?

Many thanks for the help.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Carcass Collection
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:01:16 pm »
I pick mine up in the back of my vehicle. I'm only 30 mins from the abattoir, and the meat's been in the fridge, so it's still cold when I get home. If I had a longer journey I would cover it with polythene and put some frozen bottles of water in with it.
To suggest it go in a refrigerated vehicle sounds very impracticable for the  average person, and I would have thought totally unnecessary anyway.

I see your abattoir have only "advised " you, as obviously, as a commercial  concern, that's how they would have to deliver it. But as a private individual, for own consumption, it must be up to you.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:54:06 pm »

To suggest it go in a refrigerated vehicle sounds very impracticable for the  average person,

But abattoirs aren't generally set up for 'the average person'!

Although i agree, in this case, not necessary. OP have you explained it's for personal consumption?

I highly doubt they'd deliver either, our abattoir will only deliver to business addresses

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »
I would invest in a commercial style cool box, they are about £60. I used to do outside catering and my meat delivery went straight in to one of these and with ice packs I could keep it refrigerated for days. I used to log the temperature, so I have a small thermometer on the outside of the box. https://caterspeed.co.uk/product/hygiplas-digital-fridgefreezer-thermometer/ I still have one on the outside of my chest freezer so I can do a visual check every time I walk past. And yes my husband has unplugged it by accident.
 I know its for your own use but I suppose that the abattoir is covering themselves as if you did sell/give it away and someone got food poisoning they would be part of the investigation, which could have commercial repercussions

EJC

• Joined Apr 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:52:56 pm »
Many thanks for the responses and suggestions.

I believe you may be right in that the abattoir is simply covering themselves as we did make it clear it was for personal consumption.

On further inquiry into the situation they have said they do not inspect the vehicles themselves and so it would be our choice, however suggest we would be taking a risk if caught by an inspector (presume FSA?)

As in landroverroys case, we are only 30 mins from the abattoir so we had presumed plastic sheeting and ice packs would have sufficed.

I think I will investigate a commercial cool box for the back of the van as hopefully it will show due diligence should anything crop up.

Thanks again for the advice.

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:28 pm »
you could make a large cool box out for insulation line it and freeze some gallon water bottles and put them in side it would work and be cheep !!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »
Or arrange to meet the refrigerated vehicle at some point on its route,that is convenient to the driver , like a butchers

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 06:47:51 am »
How big is the abattoir? It sounds like it must be a massive one if they are being that picky, or you could of just spoken to an awkward member of staff..? I think there is a lot of difference between 'should' or 'have to'. You just need to be on the ball and question it when it comes up, or call them back and ask them to clarify what they said.   

Yes agreed, best case would be for it to be in a chilled vehicle, you don't have access to one, so will they refuse to release your pork to you if you turn up in a car? I suspect not.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:33:42 am »
For our own personal consumption we just throw carcasses into the back of the truck - they're very chilled so have never worried. The abattoir is more concerned about just getting them out the door and making space. I would imagine your carcasses are going to spend longer on your kitchen table being butchered than the drive home - should you now be looking at refrigeration for there also and making it a safe working environment?
Don't bow down to the jobsworths, enjoy your Pork  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS