Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is topping?  (Read 2656 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
What is topping?
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:04:41 am »
I always thought that topping was just that, taking the top off, maybe 6" off ground?
Tenant has topped our fields, including the fields I use, but it's down to the ground,
Esp with it being so dry, it's a mess, and no sign of recovery.
Should it be so short?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What is topping?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:21:49 am »
No, it shouldn’t.  Sounds like your tenant doesn’t know what topping is. 

One would normally top to the length required for your planned use. Cattle next, top to 3-4”, sheep next, top to 2”, ponies next maybe a little closer, staying fallow and topping for weeds, I guess 1-2” (but we’ve always got livestock in queue!). Something along those lines anyway.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:58:33 am »
I agree with Sally - ideally you don't want the grass scalping. However it depends what topper they are using. it is not always possible to adjust the height. We used  to have a rotary topper and I could choose the height it cut at. Now we have a flail one and it runs along the ground, not on the adjustable 3 point linkage so only cuts one height. Normally it doesn't matter as the regrowth happens in no time and you've soon  got a covering of new grass. This year is an exception and realistically however long you left the remaining grass, it's not going to grow until we get some rain. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:21:49 pm »
Its so dry - nothing but stalks around at the moment here - no sward beneath.

I topped one field and it was like a desert - left the rest of the fields as a bit of shadow for the new growth.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »
I suppose it IS a rough field, there are strips of green, and there were rushes, but a lot of earth, with the chopped vegetation laying about, pity that couldn't have been collected, might have looked a bit better.
We had a bit of rain yesterday, hopefully that will bring the grass on.
Thanks all.

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:16:26 pm »
hope its come back , topping grass hard some times can br good but with the weather we've had its a bad idea , I'm just out side Haworth , we mowed our hay in june  n grass hasn't grown at all , was hoping for a second cut  lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS