Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting VERY worried ...  (Read 6607 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Getting VERY worried ...
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:22:48 pm »
Ready to cry,

Still no rain …. infact just one small shower here in S Wales since mid May..... lots of us around here are on spring or well water and they are just drying up. 

So off the water goes to Manchester and Birmingham so they can wash cars and water lawns whilst us here are struggling to find enough water for our animals, and in some friends cases, for themselves to drink.    and apparently Welsh Water doesn't even have to sell us any when our spring dries up completely (so they can continue to water lawns in England!) …    Only when there is a danger to health to vulnerable people do they have to find us some! 

Our own spring is hanging in there so far but I'm very worried,   

and the forecast?  2 more weeks without rain!   :gloomy:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
Re: Getting VERY worried ...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »
Look on the bright side...or should I say rainy side instead?  :P You are not as bad off as here in Sweden. No rain since the beginning of april and my well became the Sahara 6 weeks ago. Today I had 35 degrees in the morning, I just left the farm and went swimming with a friend. Was supposed to build a new chicken coop this summer, but it is just to hot outside.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:50:30 pm »
so where are you getting water for yourselves/ animals?
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:03 pm »
Kind friends bring me water everyday when they pass on the way from work. But I knew the problem was coming, so I had reserve water in small tanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
so where are you getting water for yourselves/ animals?

Do you have/can you get an IBC and fill up at a friends who is on mains water?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »
Same position here in Mid Wales.
We are about the last property up here that is on mains.
I know that at least one farm locally is now having to collect water from another farm for the stock and others having to take water out to the fields.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:20 pm »
If you are totally out of water, surely the Welsh water company has to provide you with a bowser?  Isn't that what your rates should cover?  Have you sought official advice or help?

We were in the same position here in Scotland, with our own not very deep well which supplies the house, plus half a dozen 1200 litre black barrels of captured rainwater for livestock and crops.  The barrels were nearly empty when we had an hour of heavy rain, which added about a quarter of a tank to each one, which has been enough to rescue us.  Since then we have had a couple of days of drizzle, which refreshes plants but doesn't get deep into the soil.  Trees are dying, flower garden is crispy, grass hasn't grown for a while, but our stocking rate is low so livestock still has plenty to eat.  If it doesn't rain heavily again then we will be in the same position as you are.
 :fc:  for  :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining:  for you.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 12:15:17 am »
We have had some rain in the last few days. Not a lot but Severn Trent say they have enough in reserve at the moment.

I'm astounded that the Welsh water company don't do anything to help. When there was a problem with the water supply earlier this year, Severn Trent went round all the houses in the affected area, including ours, and left a number of bottles of drinking water. They were out again in June because a burst pipe left many houses without water. This time they had central points where they had water to give out. I assumed that all water authorities would do the same.

Hope we all get a good downpour very soon, preferably at night. I'm still watering my vegetables and flowers in pots but my poor fruit trees are looking very droopy so I'll have to do something for them soon, if the sky doesn't.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:32 am »
If you are totally out of water, surely the Welsh water company has to provide you with a bowser?  Isn't that what your rates should cover?  Have you sought official advice or help?

Apparently not! They MAY sell you some but at their discretion.  One friend was delivered a bowser for £150 but they are beginning  to refuse because stocks are getting  low!   Local MP questioning this.   MGM you are their customer so they have to provide water to you.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:23 am »
I'm sure it's the same in Scotland - there was a very well publicised case a few years ago (some people may remember Stonehead) where a smallholder ran out of water. Scottish water were adamant that they had no responsibility to provide water to households that were 'off grid' the guy in question was finally helped out by the local fire brigade.

It is shocking in this day and age that the powers that be can't/won't/don't have to help households not connected to the grid. Worse than a 3rd world country....

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:12 am »
Do you even pay water rates if you use your own well? 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
Find yourself some IBCs and bung them on a trailer, and pop down to a neighbour for a fill up.
Seen a few bowsers for sale on FB recently too actually.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:42:20 am »
I'm also in Carmarthenshire and its getting ridiculous. My borehole is holding up for now (touch wood) and the stream is reduced to a trickle but its still running.

I can't really understand why you would assume that the local authority has a duty to step in and provide water though? Having a borehole means that I have a private water supply and don't pay any water rates. It doesn't seem fair to expect the water board to step in and cover any shortfall when I'm not their customer.

Many households who are on a well or borehole have the option to connect to the mains, but it is expensive, for me its just a risk you take

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:11 am »
Do you even pay water rates if you use your own well?

No
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:01:06 am »

I can't really understand why you would assume that the local authority has a duty to step in and provide water though? Having a borehole means that I have a private water supply and don't pay any water rates. It doesn't seem fair to expect the water board to step in and cover any shortfall when I'm not their customer.

sur
I don't … but I do expect them to be able to supply me with water in a bowser if I pay for it … they can refuse … that is the argument …….. which surely is better for them than if I buy some containers and fill them from a friends who is on mains but doesn't have meter??
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS