Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ageing a ewe  (Read 2824 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Ageing a ewe
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
When I get my new little flock, I will need to identify the oldests ewes so I can replace them when the time comes.....Ive heard that they lose 2 teeth each year one from each side, so if this happens are the teeth not replaced with others? do they end up with none? if anyone still has any energy to answer I will be grateful  :D
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

khajou

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Ageing a ewe
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:42:48 pm »
When a sheep gets to 1 year old (roughly) the two middle baby incisors fall out and will be replaced by 2 permanent teeth. Like humans, they look different. When the sheep reaches 2 years of age the baby teeth either side the permanent teeth will be replaced by 2 permanent teeth. This process continues yearly until the sheep is 5 years old when they are classed as full mouthed. After that, if they lose any they are classed as broken mouthed.

Hope that helps.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »
ahhh I see thanks that makes sence

cheers

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:54:31 am »
Also when they lose teeth it is not in any order, although the middle ones tend to wear out first. They usually go very thin (the teeth) beofre they actually fall out, so you have some warning that they are getting old.  Often a sheep will struggle when it starts losing teeth, but will do  alot better, on a softer diet, when they have all come out and they are totally gummy.
People tend to forget that sheep also have molar teeth at the back of the jaw.  When these start to come out, they really have problems.  It is also worth checking by running your hand along the side of the jaw, that there are no lumps which indicate abscesses in these back teeth.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:35 am »
cheers for that

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:13 pm »
And it does really hurt if you get your finger/thumb by accident in between these back teeth!!!! (like when checking/dosing - I know you shouldn't, but I guess it happens at least once to all of us!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS