Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another unwell hen  (Read 1973 times)

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Another unwell hen
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:06 am »
I have a problem with one of my four hens.  She has brown diarrhoea, and her comb is pale this morning.  She is and has been eating while roaming but have to coax her back into coop at night.  Not that interested in feed or corn.  While roaming around she has preferred to be on her own for the last few days.  Did find red mite some days ago but have dealt with them (for the time being).  They were last wormed with Flubenvet 3/4 months ago.  Any ideas?  As I say, she is walking around, doing chickeny things but has the above symptoms.  Don't think she is laying though.  Generally they are moulting and only one of the 4 is laying (I think - unless they have found somewhere else!).  I do know which one is laying though.

Any comments would be really helpful!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Another unwell hen
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:30 pm »
Try hardboiled eggs chopped up and see if she'll eat that.  Should help with the runs.  I know it seems like cannibalism, but it isn't really.  Check her again for mites - all kinds, that can bring them down rapidly. And also try porridge with milk, honey, poultry spice and citricidal.  Good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
Have done the egg - we'll see what happens.  How much citricidal should I give and presumably giving the others some won't do them any harm?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »
Have done the egg - we'll see what happens.  How much citricidal should I give and presumably giving the others some won't do them any harm?
I put one drop in for each hen.  No idea if that's enough or not.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:35:22 pm »
Sadly we had to put her out of her misery today.  Having perked up a little yesterday she then went totally downhill and wouldn't eat drink or anything .......  Her runs today were dreadful.  Still don't know what the problem was though.  The three others seem absolutely fine - fingers crossed....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS