Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How can I help my very old sheep who keeps casting herself  (Read 1469 times)

Karin

• Joined Jul 2018
How can I help my very old sheep who keeps casting herself
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »
Dear sheep people, I feel encouraged to share my woes, having read a lot of posts here and realising that there are others finding it hard to let go of their sheep.
My eldest ewe is 16, a Jacob sheep, extremely thin. The vet thinks that she suffers from arthritis, and for a while her moving/walking was so bad that I was close to calling it a day. Then I started her on a herbal product intended for horses called "alphabute" and that has improved her walking. A conventional medicine called Metacam resulted in bleeding, so I was glad to find an alternative.
She is still very keen on food, but won't get it herself. Her front teeth are all there, her droppings are normal. I pick large quantities of grass and leaves (lime, cherry, hawthorne etc) and give it to her four times a day. she walks about, and comes to meet me, but does no longer accompany the others (three) from the garden to the field.
She goes for days without incident, but then come days where she casts herself 2 or 3 times a day; I can keep a close eye in the day, but really worry that this might happen at night and that by holding on to her I am putting her at risk of a painful death by bloat.
As you may imagine, I am extremely fond of this sheep. I cannot bear the idea of having her put down when she's still able to walk and keen on her food. But the frequency of casting herself is beginning to freak me out. Thank you for reading this far. I wonder whether any of you have been in this situation and could give me some advice.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How can I help my very old sheep who keeps casting herself
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:24:28 am »
It is always a difficult decision but I think you answered your own question. You don't want her to get cast and suffer. It is becoming a strain to yourself. Once the wet weather returns she could be cast in the cold and wet. Not nice for her and distressing for you.

Remember you have done the best for her. I suggest you let her go whilst you can have control of the situation.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:34:50 am »
That's a difficult one. :thinking: . It's like old ladies who one day find they can't get out of the bath.
I agree that as long as she's getting pleasure out of life and can still get around then there's no need to put her down. You say she gets cast during the day, so presumably it hasn't happened at night and probably she doesn't bother to get up then anyway so hopefully things will carry on like that.
It would seem that sometimes when she lies down she just doesn't have the energy to get up again. Being old she probably isn't using minerals as efficiently as a younger sheep, so I would get her an energy and mineral bucket to lick which she can help herself to. Possibly a Lifeline one  which has additional minerals etc for the pregnant ewe and growing lambs, and molasses for energy.
Apart from that it's a case of getting her to move about as much as possible to maintain what muscle power she has. I would also google arthritis and see what natural products there are to make life easier. I personally take aloe vera and fish oil and find they help, and can confirm that just because you have arthritis and life becomes more difficult doesn't mean that you would necessarily want to end it all!  :sunshine:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:17:27 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:17:54 am »
Has she got much fleece on her? I've noticed it's usually when they have a fleece on that they have problems?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:25:27 am »
Hmm!  I'm in two minds about this one.  We have had old ewes up to 20 yrs.  They do turn into 'old sticks' but still like pottering around and sunbatheing and hanging out with their chums.  Occasionally they will cowp (cast) and be unable to get up on their own.  We have found that it is immediate energy they need, and I agree with landroverroy that an energy bucket (molasses) will help.  We also go with the fleecewife special of digestive biscuits.  The first time you give them you have to break them up and push pieces into the sheep's mouth at the side, just in front of the back teeth and on top of the tongue.  They eventually learn to crunch them, then they become addicted, so you can feed maybe half a dozen biscuits, broken into quarters, over the day.  Digestives contain sugar, carbs and fibre and help the rumen to keep going, plus providing a good crunch. Feed the browse as well (willow is the best and cow parsley).
What puzzles me is that you say she is fullmouthed so I can't see why she would be so thin.  Ours have remained in fine condition until they start to lose their teeth, then when all the teeth are gone they can eat again, with support, but of course you would not breed from her in that state.  Have you checked her mouth carefully for wobbly teeth, and signs of abscesses in her back teeth (feel along her jawline on the outside)?  If she's not able to pluck grass efficiently ie wobbly teeth which hurt, or chew effectively with the molars then she can appear to be grazing but not actually be taking much in.  We also feed our old ladies a tasty coarse mix and they can chew that fine while their back teeth are good, and don't need any front teeth at all.

So, the questions you need to ask are whether she is truly content with her life, and free of pain, or is she doing the sheep thing of pretending she's fine to avoid predation?  When she cowps is she distressed or it's just a case of 'woops' then she's ok? 
Why are you keeping her alive?  Is it for your sake in that you are fond of her and you don't want to face the decision, or are you sure you will know when she's had enough and life is too much of a struggle and you will call the vet or the knackerman?
It sounds like the time is close, but only you can decide on the day.  Try the high energy feeds, plus a pain killer from the vet, and see if she improves, and if not make the decision.

Crossposted with PHB - yes, an unshorn fleece, especially if it's wet, can be enough to cowp even a healthy, young sheep

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:30:25 pm »
That's a difficult one. :thinking: . It's like old ladies who one day find they can't get out of the bath.
I agree that as long as she's getting pleasure out of life and can still get around then there's no need to put her down. You say she gets cast during the day, so presumably it hasn't happened at night and probably she doesn't bother to get up then anyway so hopefully things will carry on like that.
It would seem that sometimes when she lies down she just doesn't have the energy to get up again. Being old she probably isn't using minerals as efficiently as a younger sheep, so I would get her an energy and mineral bucket to lick which she can help herself to. Possibly a Lifeline one  which has additional minerals etc for the pregnant ewe and growing lambs, and molasses for energy.
Apart from that it's a case of getting her to move about as much as possible to maintain what muscle power she has. I would also google arthritis and see what natural products there are to make life easier. I personally take aloe vera and fish oil and find they help, and can confirm that just because you have arthritis and life becomes more difficult doesn't mean that you would necessarily want to end it all!  :sunshine:

I haven't been stuck in the bath..yet...but hopefully if I was someone wouldn't be too far away to give me a hand. However, being stuck all night and being frozen cold would be another matter. If I was having a problem yes, I could have a hand rail fitted perhaps, not unlike Scarlet Dragon's suggestion of a roller for the sheep. As I got old or less able yes, I probably need some supplements.

I have bits that ache, don't work as well but I also have a choice of whether I do something that makes it worse (like too much dancing last night) or not. And I can still tell someone what the problem is and make choices.

I have "old things" mooching about enjoying the summer and don't have a problem with that but when something starts to affect you as the owner as in sleepness nights and worry, you can try every option, potion or lotion (and I have done this too) but at some point you also have to consider your health.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS