Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The abattoir  (Read 5043 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
The abattoir
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:12:01 am »
This morning I took our two to the abattoir.  They were extremely busy, whilst I waited I watched a pig stuck in the aisle; sitting on its haunches, looking dazed.  The stretcher trolley came out, the pig was hauled on alive by its back leg, "slapped" with the number and sent off.  EVERYONE WHO BUYS SUPERMARKET meat should have to see that. 

Mine were beautifully handled by the staff, trotted off behind the slaughterer, were done within 1 minute of leaving the trailer. 

I know this is the wrong forum for this as we all strive to produce cruelty free meat, if I put it on a non smallholder forum it would be struck off as too insensitive.  I needed to share my waking nightmare with someone.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: The abattoir
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:08:24 pm »
There is much cruelty at abattoirs, cattle auctions and, I suspect, some farms. The peolpe who handle animals like this daily are inured to the sentient character of animals, maybe they have to be to do the job they do, but it offends me as it obviously does you. I don't now what the answer is. :(

Pebbles

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:42:45 pm »
I don't think there really is an answer but all we can do to try and help stop this is to make people aware and to try and persuade them otherwise.  Little by little we will gradually change the world....

How horrible to see though - I can't stand cruelty of any kind. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:58:47 am »
Thats the hardest part, to them its just part of a day's work, the trolley is custom made for this sort of casualty, and must be pretty well used.  That is the hard part, that pigs are so badly travelled that they are crippled en route. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS