Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Flushing"  (Read 6728 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
"Flushing"
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:21 pm »
 would I be correct in saying that now is the time with this new fresh growth of grass from the recent rain?  Maybe a little too early if you want later lambs?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: "Flushing"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:04:03 am »
just limit access to a lot odf fresh grass. and when you want them to be ready give them extra feed for a few weeks before hand. wetried this for the first time last year and we nealy had double the number of lambs as normal.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:21:20 am »
I've never managed to do this, despite my best intentions and a basic undestanding of the principle. But I'm going to try again this year - God loves a trier  ;D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:58 am »
We keep our ewes moving on :D

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:52:46 pm »
Fat ewes do not concieve well.

Ewes are better kept on mediocre grazing from the time their lambs are speaned until about three weeks before going to the tup. Then they should be put onto good grazing so that they are on a rising plane of nutrition prior to the tup going in.

That way their conception rates should be higher, and their returns to the tup should be minimized.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »
Hi all,  I put my ewes onto fresh pasture a couple of weeks before tupping for the first time last year.  I had more twins that I'd ever had in the past,   I think it does pay to do this, my neighbour's view is that if the ewe thinks there is plenty of grazing available she is more likely to conceive twins/triplets!!!  Clever these sheep!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »
Yup, all well and good in theory, but we're coming down with grass. Still, I'll keep trying!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

Yes theory's great but we have no areas with poor grazing so I am just going to have to carry on as normal and leave them on good grass and

hope that when I wean they don't get mastitis.
Anne

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »

Yes theory's great but we have no areas with poor grazing

Lucky you! Don't knock it
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »
Been thinking about this and we're having a move round tomorrow to get the ewes on the area with least grass! The only bit with NO grass is where the ponies are and I've no way of confining the sheep there.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 09:23:40 pm »
WE have in the past used hurdles across a smaller area/one corner in a triangular field. Worked well. Mine are now in a fairly small field, grass fairly low and will stay there until 3 weeks prior to tupping. Then go to good field. We have done this now for two years and lambing % is 180%.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:14 am »
you can also use sheep nuts/corse mix to give the ame boost.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »
Henry (inventor of meatlinc) Fell says that there is no evidence that rapidly rising condition increases fertility. The ewes should just be in good condition (2.5-3). I dont bring my ewes down in condition before "flushing"and I dont give them concentrates before tupping. I get a lambing percentage of about 170 which is perfect because I dont want triplets.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:14 pm »
Why does everyone do it then?

I've got mine on the poorest grass we've got - at least it will help them dry off. I never seem to get much condition off them.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:27:27 am »
We put our ewes is a new field about 2 months ago and they are all like barrels now.  We're going to have a go at splitting off the field so they've got some poorer grazing, but like Daisy's Mum, we only seem to have good grass! I don't know how pleased they'd be about this!  We've just bought 15 store lambs to put on a 4 acre plot and the farmer that delivered them said we would only have to feed them if the winter was hideous as the grass was so good!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS