Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick piglet help  (Read 2480 times)

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
sick piglet help
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:15 am »
hi i have a sick piglet who has fell behind the rest in size is ther any way of give them a boost so he gets back on same level as the rest. 5 weeks old and no real interest in food.

HappyHippy

Re: sick piglet help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
Hiya,
We need more info !
What breed are they ?
Are they still with mum ? At 5 weeks, althought they'll be on solids, they'll still be looking to her for 'top ups'.
Are they inside or out ? If inside, were they given iron injections after birth ?
Is he bright and active or withdrawn and lethargic ?
Any temperature or sign of scour ?
You could seperate them at feeding time so he's sure to get his share and make a warm porridge with milk and rolled oats (porridge oats) but if he's suddenly gone off his food you've got to check there's not an underlying cause.
HTH
Karen

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »
 he is a tamworth. still with mum. getting grain and weaner nuts. he likes really wet grain just dont eat much. did not get iron .just got out today to field.  not to sure about it withdrawn and a bit lethargic.  was at vet on tuesday got scan and all clear no temperture . no scour hard and small.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:44:55 pm »
Okay, if he's not had an iron injection (or a lump of muck to nibble on) he might be anemic, but I would expect the others to be showing signs too.  ???
Providing the grain is milled/rolled it should be fine - whole grain could be making him constipated and account for the lack of intrest in food.(the poo shouldn't be hard - but firm and easy for him to pass)
Have they been wormed ? If not, do that, it won't do any harm.
Does he suckle well from mum ? Do the piglets have access to plenty of fresh water ?
I have a litter at the moment and the runt is smaller than the other piglets, but is bright, healthy and shows lots of intrest in food, I think something's definately amiss but without seeing the piglet I'm not sure what - maybe some more experienced breeders will have more advice to offer than me.
HTH
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS