Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much longer do I leave her?  (Read 2297 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
how much longer do I leave her?
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:01:02 pm »
Broody's eggs were due last Saturday, sadly there is no sign of life. It has been asked before - how much longer do I leave her and if nothign happens how do I wean her off the eggs? :&>

Hardfeather

Re: how much longer do I leave her?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »
It doesn't look as if anything will be viable now, unfortunately. It's a long time to wait for nothing, and very frustrating to have nothing to show for the it.

I'd just remove the eggs and the hen will likely just go back to normal life. The only other thing you may do is source some day-old chicks and put them under the hen at night. Chances are good that she'll come off with them in the morning and you've a ready-made family.

Newby

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »
It doesn't look as if anything will be viable now, unfortunately. It's a long time to wait for nothing, and very frustrating to have nothing to show for the it.

I'd just remove the eggs and the hen will likely just go back to normal life. The only other thing you may do is source some day-old chicks and put them under the hen at night. Chances are good that she'll come off with them in the morning and you've a ready-made family.

I'd try and find some day old's then all was not in vain.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:35:56 pm »
when did she set them remember she could have been laying for a while after. let her tell you when shes had enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS