Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig worming - urgent!  (Read 2725 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Pig worming - urgent!
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:25:07 am »
I have a 6 month old boar that is losing condition, hangs his head looks fed up and doesn't eat much although he does drink and I have some puppy panacur which was got for piglets from a vet.

The question is; do I dose for consecutive days with panacur in pigs or is it a single dose?

HappyHippy

Re: Pig worming - urgent!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:38 am »
I've only used panacur the once (got some with my pigs when they arrived) but I'm fairly certain it's just a single dose they need.
Is he in with other pigs ? If he's on his own he's maybe a bit bored or deppressed too ?
Good luck, let us know how he gets on.
Karen x

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:23:05 pm »
A single dose for pigs

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:34:09 pm »
Hi,

I would suggest that puppy panacur will not be strong enough, besides there are better wormers than panacur for pigs.

It's important to give him the correct dose f wormer - please dont use guesswork with a very weak (for puppys) product.

Speak to the vet again and get his advice.

Are you sure it is worms ?

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:09:38 am »
No Im not sure its worms but the symptoms fit.

Puppy Panacur is 10% dilution, so its 5mg per kilo - 100mg = 1ml and as its extremely hard to over dose Panacure I dosed 3.5ml = 70 kilo pig.

I have worked with Mebendezole before when helping Duncan Griffiths devise a new treatment for koi flukes and its one of the kinder anthelmintics.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS