Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any idea what these are?  (Read 3648 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Any idea what these are?
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:34 pm »
Hi

Down where we put out the cats bowl there are some sort of small bugs constantly about on the tiled floor. They range from minute to about 1cm long and are very thin, like silver eels, that zoom about in circles and then disappear under the kitchen cupboards when I start squashing them. They really do look like mini fish or eels and move really fast.

Does anyone have any idea what these might be. I'm assuming they are coming from or for the cat food but OH suggested they could be out of the cat.

Thanks.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Any idea what these are?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:52 pm »
silverfish a primitve creature that likes  damp areas

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:31 pm »
Don't think they do any harm but they are horrible and very difficult to get rid of.  One house we owned previously had them and we used diatom to good effect.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »
they like warm, damp places... used to have them around our airing cupboard in the downstair bathroom when I was little - scared me more than anything!!
Little Blue

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:17:52 am »
Thanks for your replies. I wasnt sure these were silverfish as I can't see any antennae or legs or anything. They just look like silver exclamation marks without the dots. ! And they are very small and thin. The area they are in also is a tiled floor and not damp. However, good idea on the diatom, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Yuck - hate bugs. :-[

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
Or put down ant stations - little round dishes with ant killer in them.  Just watch cats and dogs don't get a hold of them. Don't think they'd do any harm, but they'd chew them to bits maybe ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS