Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pilgrim goose sitting help please  (Read 2446 times)

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
Pilgrim goose sitting help please
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:52:32 am »
Hi Everyone,
I have just joined the group, but have read lots of posts in the past.
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a female Pilgrim goose who is 5 years old now, and she is sitting on 10 eggs, in a safe place. She has been sitting for 29 days and only comes off for a wash and brush up and food. Her Husband and Aunty are in attendance all the time. This is the first time I have allowed her to sit, normally I take the eggs away on a daily basis... and she doesn't mind. This year I thought I would give her the opportunity. Anyway my question is.. how long should it take for the eggs to hatch.. assuming they are fertile. I checked them this morning and there are no pips or cracks or anything on any of the eggs..I picked them up and looked and put them back exactly as I found them. I have not candled them or weighed them as she is very fierce and wont normally let me anywhere near the nest. Any info will be good. Thank you. p.s. I have goose chick feed ready, and a place I can put them indoors, and a moveable run to put them out to grass which is safe from buzzards etc.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Pilgrim goose sitting help please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
I think they can take up to 35. At 29 days I would take her off the nest and check the eggs, I gently shake (very gently) the egg and sometimes you feel movement inside, like a dull thud, its a dud, also sometimes you can hear a watery noise. If you can hear neither put them back and let the goose back onto the nest.

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:26:24 pm »
Thanks bj Cardiff, that is very interesting. I will have a go tomorrow. I did put one or two to my ear, but could hear nothing, mind you, I was unsure what I was supposed to hear, maybe cheeping!

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:12 pm »
I candle and see if liquidy. Will definitely take a bit longer than 28 days depending on size of breed.

H

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:44 am »
We keep shetlands which are a similar size to pilgrims.  Ours took 30 days to hatch 9 out of 11 eggs.  If they are viable, then yes, you will hear a gentle cheeping a day or two before they hatch.  They are communicating with each other and with the goose, to co-ordinate hatching, although ours took a full day and a half before all had arrived.
It sounds as if your goose is doing all the right things, with getting out of the nest for her ablutions, having a wee wander and grazing a little. Being wet will help keep the humidity level up for the eggs.  I love the way the partner hangs around guarding his goose, and getting generally bored  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:07:54 am »
Thank you all for your replies. I will hang on, check the eggs gently if I can get her away from the nest, and let you know how it all goes next week.

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:40 pm »
Hello again !
I am very excited. Mrs Goose got off her nest just now, so I grabbed my LED torch and shot down to the nest. In I crept and picked up the first egg, put the fat bit on the torch and looked. The air sac is huge, nothing sloppy or flopping about. In turn I picked them all up. They are all exactly the same. Great big air sac at a sort of angle. I have watched a couple of videos on UTube. I think that all  10 eggs are viable, and they should hatch in a couple of days.  I won’t open the Champagne just yet !
Update soon.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:26 pm »
Fantastic news :D

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 11:34:34 am »
Hello again.
Well its day 33 and nothing has happened. I looked at the eggs this morning when she was off the nest for 5 mins. They still have a large air sac at a sort of angle and the rest of the space is dark.. I think I could see some pink , so I am assuming that would be veins. Nothing moving that I could tell, nor internal pips...but nothing sloshing around either. I sprinkled clean water over the eggs as it is very hot here and Mrs Goose does not go on the pond or water trough very often.
Mr Husband Goose is a West of England, so as he is bigger than a Pilgrim, it may mean that her eggs might take a bit longer, I am hoping that if any of them hatch I will still have the ~"auto sexing" gene. I do have a pure WofE Goose too, so if this is successful, I may let her sit next year to get some pure bred geese. Any thoughts on how long this may take? They are all still very attentive, so maybe I should just wait and see..as they say Patience is a Virtue!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:02:06 pm »
They would eventually abandon the eggs themselves if incubation has gone wrong somewhere.  Just sit on your hands and let the geese get on with sitting on the eggs  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:04:45 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 05:13:24 pm »
 :thumbsup: ok

Wiz

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 09:22:53 am »
Hi All,
Just to let you know that none of the eggs hatched. I will investigate 4 of the eggs that I removed today, but one or 2 are very watery...
I will take the nest away and hope Mummy goose returns to normal activity soon.
Maybe I will try next year. I suppose this happens, but for all 10 to die in the shell is very sad. Maybe it was just too hot and dry this year. .. Ironically it has just started to rain here, much needed as our well is very low.
Regards and thanks to those that gave me hope.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS