Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cock-a-doodle-do  (Read 2285 times)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Cock-a-doodle-do
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:08:44 pm »
I have 3  16 week old chickens and one of them suddenly went "cock-a-doodle-do at the top of his voice yesterday.I have never had a cockerel before. can anyone tell me when he will take up his "other duties" and what do I need to know about how my girls will deal with him when he does.?

Hardfeather

Re: Cock-a-doodle-do
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »
Puoltry don't have any preconceived ideas, or hang-ups, about sex the way some humans do. ;D

The cockerel will start treading the hens in due course. The hens will accept this as naturally as a duck takes to water. The eggs will be fertile, but perfectly edible, and perhaps, depending on the breed, the hens will incubate them and hatch you some chicks. ;)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Cock-a-doodle-do
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »
As the old joke went

"I hear you are taking up breeding chickens.  I didn't know you knew anything about it."

"I don't!  But the chickens do!" ;)

Having said that the hens will decide when he is acceptable, there may be a bit of squawking and running about till then, but they'll sort themselves out.  If you haven't many hens, and he is particularly enthusiastic, or a very heavy breed he may eventually wear out the feathers on their backs.  You can buy ready made poultry saddles, or only put the cockerel in a couple of days a week.  The hens have "sperm nests" in their oviducts and eggs can be fertilized for upto 2-3 weeks after a mating

All the best Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS