Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crab apples  (Read 2430 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Crab apples
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »
I have a bumper crop of crab apples and wanting ideas for how to use them. After a search of the internet I have the following ideas:

Crab apple liqueur

Crab Apple Whiskey

Crab Apple Cider

Apart from Crab apple jelly has anyone go some good alternatives (it does not have to be drink based :) )
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Crab apples
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:59:30 pm »
I use crab apples as part of Hedgerow Jelly.  You make it with whatever you find in the hedges, like Elder berries, Rowan berries, Brambles, rosehips and any other edible fruit growing wild.  Cook them all together covered with water, strain through a jelly bag, add sugar at the rate of a pound per pint of juice.  It makes a lovely sharp jelly suitable for eating with cheese or cold meat, and is a gorgeous colour.  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »
I actually ate one most recently - yellow skinned with deep rosy blush and I just couldn't resist. (No idea what variety.)   Sharp but refreshingly so, rather than mouth-puckering - flesh was crunchy, but not "hard" - actually rather delicious and it's only August! 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:19 am »
As per FW. We also use skies. Made lots last year and sold them on the farmers market. Went very well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS