Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello, and a question about courses  (Read 792 times)

mikeandgeri

• Joined Jul 2018
Hello, and a question about courses
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:08:40 pm »

Hi to everyone in this thriving community, and thanks to the people who put their time into running it.

We're planning a move into the smallholding world over the next few years, and we'd like to do a 2- or 3-day course as a starting-point.

We're currently based in Kent. Does anyone have any course recommendations please? We're interested in learning about running a mixed smallholding (sheep, pigs, and hens, as well as growing vegetables and possibly offering guest accommodation).

Grateful for any help!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello, and a question about courses
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »
Welcome to TAS :wave:

Being from the west country I only know about courses on this side of the country. Rather a long way for you to come I'm afraid. Have you investigated local smallholder associations? I'm sure there is one in Kent They often hold courses and are more than happy to have non-smallholders as members.

The other thing that I did when I was starting out was to take part in WWOOF activities (World-wide opportunities on organic farms) You volunteer to help for a week or weekend on smallholdings and in return learn a lot of new skills. It also gives you an insight into smallholding life which is something that a course can't always deliver. :)

Do let us know how you get on. :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS