Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: diatomaceous earth  (Read 5422 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: diatomaceous earth
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:39 pm »
Well that is an interesting piece of "research". It actually has fairly random results in places.
At 4 weeks of treatment the drenched animals had the highest worm count - even higher than the untreated ones.
At 10 weeks of treatment the lambs from the DE treated ewes were heavier than those from  both the drenched ewes and the controls. So - as I mentioned - there is indeed some research that shows DR can be effective against internal parasites. :thumbsup:

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mark taylor

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:42 pm »
I cant thank you all enough for you comments a advice I might just use it in the sheep shed to kill the parasites and flease since I still have 20kg left :-)

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 06:28:36 pm »
Well that is an interesting piece of "research". It actually has fairly random results in places.
At 4 weeks of treatment the drenched animals had the highest worm count - even higher than the untreated ones.
At 10 weeks of treatment the lambs from the DE treated ewes were heavier than those from  both the drenched ewes and the controls. So - as I mentioned - there is indeed some research that shows DR can be effective against internal parasites. :thumbsup:

That is not what it shows.... it shows more evidence is required as the evidence gathered does not rule out other environmental factors and it shows clearly that their is no consistent pattern across the board showing any difference.

Furthermore to say their is evidence requires this one thing and one thing only ; Repeatable evidence - "Reproducibility" - the single bases of the scientific method and the basis of science. That a fall in worm counts and burden is consistently reported from a treatment, time after time in the same circumstances, and most studies as I showed, show none of that and a few show erratic results - the balance of evidence is overwhelmingly against DE as an anthelmintic.

DE does not show that.

DE Does have one single benefit, and that is it does slow rumen passage time down by 5-10% which will  both mean more food in an animal and thus more weight when weighed, but also will allow fuller digestion in the rumen, but whether the cost of DE vs the cost of growing more grass is ever economical pretty much voids the use of DE in that respect.

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 11:48:58 pm »
I know you will like to do it organically, but honestly when it comes to worming you really have to use chemicals, unless your pasture management is amazing. I saw a video the other day on youtube of a fatal case where someone had use DE to worm, and the sheep had such a parasite build up, they died. Don't want to worry you, but I would highly recommend getting a FEC sample, and worming with chemical stuff from there.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:38 pm »
Pasture management in terms of plants and rotations - sainfoin and chicory both being studied for antiparasitic effects, for example. FEC to monitor. Chemical wormers if and when necessary. :farmer:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 06:31:18 am »
Pasture management in terms of plants and rotations - sainfoin and chicory both being studied for antiparasitic effects, for example. FEC to monitor. Chemical wormers if and when necessary. :farmer:

And of course the substantial headway made with selection for genetic resistance to parasites  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS