Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blowfly Strike  (Read 6718 times)

Sheepish

• Joined Sep 2008
Blowfly Strike
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:38:05 pm »

Help! My Ewe has got flystrike I have treated her but feel it could be too late, I am giving her water but she is just managing to breath ???. I don't know what else I can do?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Blowfly Strike
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:35:23 pm »
call a vet  ::)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:31:23 am »
if strike is in advanced state with breathing problems i fear it may be to late, clip affected area remove all the wool remove as many maggots as possible,gently apply proprietry fly strike treatment availiable from any agri merchant/countrywide to area and surrounding fleece. probably need antibiotics jab from vet to control secondary bacterial infection. if lumps of flesh are coming away in your hand get vet immeadiately.  good luck neil

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:36 am »
Sheepish, Any news on your Ewe?  :sheep:
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Sheepish

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:52:10 pm »
Thanks for your advice, She is still alive, but in a bad way, I have been giving her water and food which she is taking but she hasn't stood up and I am a bit concerned about this.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:56:31 am »
I'm a troll fol de roll
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:40:21 am »
Sheepish, oh dear how is the ewe & have you had a vet out yet??

Where in the world are you, as there are some really good products available for the aftermath of flystrike depending on where you are.

We had two ewes affected here and not knowing what to do we panicked a little and as others have suggested cut away the affected fleece and applied a detergent, diluted with water, that is used to delouse chicken houses. It is a sort of pine oil product and it really worked well. Horrifically the maggots were falling out of the sheep as if it was a horror film, really sickening but and a big but it worked.

After the event we were told of a really good product called Aluspray which is available from chemists here in France, maybe available elsewhere??

Good luck and please let us know how things go.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »
We had one affected this year. Fortunately, we caught it quick; cut away the fleece and applied Crovect. It WAS like a horror movie with the maggots dropping off but she was better immediately - obviously relieved to be rid of her burden.

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:44 pm »
I'm a troll fol de roll

I'm pretty new to sheep, what does that mean????? :sheep:
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:26 pm »
Blowfly strike has to be the worst thing possible. As others have said you can only cut away the fleece and wash out the maggots/infection as much as possible. If there's been a big internal infection then get a long acting course of antibiotics to heal along.

Its one of the things that annoys me about organic lamb, the farmers aren't allowed to use spot on etc to keep the flies away, therefore something stupid like 1 in 5 lambs gets blowfly strike as a result.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14:17 am »
We use the click pour on and crovect on some of our lambs to prevent fly-strike as well as licks that contain garlic as a repellent. I have heard That vinegar spray is good as a repellant and also sage tea or sage dust as organic alternatives for PREVENTION. but i've never been confident enough to trial it so i can't say it definately works
Ian

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:26 am »
anyone know how the sheep is?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS