Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much should they eat?  (Read 1426 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
How much should they eat?
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:44 am »
How much layers pallets would you expect free range chickens to be eating at this time of the year? My new hens don’t seem to be eating hardly any at all!! I wonder if they don’t like their feeder. It’s a grandpas one, but I’ve got it fully open so they don’t have to operate the step yet.

There are 7 of them on about a quarter of an acre. They seem healthy and are laying, although one looks smaller than the others (and Indont think is laying)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How much should they eat?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:36:26 am »
If they are free ranging then they will be eating lots of goodies out and about. I haven't any experience of that feeder but people on here do so I suspect someone will come along and comment on that soon.

If their combs are a deep red colour it is an indication they are laying. Also you should know by the number of eggs you get daily unless they are laying out.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »
When I had hens in a small town garden they ate a cupful of layers pellets each per day. Now they have 4 acres (plus neighbours fields!), they probably eat about a cup a week!!!

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:44:28 pm »
... and still lay daily!

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »
my guess would be that they don't particularly like pellets - that's what I discovered with mine. This is easy to test if you want to: look for a different performance if you put grain or fermented feed in the same feeder.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:18:37 pm »
If tehy are fit and well and most of them are laying, then count yourself lucky that you're saving money.  You could give them vegetables or peelings, or some grain. If they eat that with gusto but still refuse pellets then you could try changing the make.  I've noticed that different makes look different so maybe they taste different too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS