Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey poults  (Read 2948 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Turkey poults
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:19:46 am »
Our five turkey poults will be ready to be free range shortly when they are 12 weeks old.  Any tips on letting them out free range for the first time?

Hardfeather

Re: Turkey poults
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:28 am »
Turkeys seem to be more concerned about avian predators than those on the ground. Foxes love them, as do any stray dogs. If there is a standing crop within fifty yards, they will disappear into it and may never be seen again. Foxes love them.

All this adds up to the fact that you must have a fence round your poults, and make sure they are securely locked in nice and early in the evening. You may want to clip a wing as well.

;D

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »
If you run around they will chase you!  ;D
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:07:15 pm »
I agree, ours follow us everywhere. They roam a long way and seem to forget where their feed trough is, then when you lead them back to their house and food they rush at it as if to say "oh yes i remember this place." we're putting up a high fence and will cut one wing as they will fly up onto the roof of the house and will burn off their food keeping warm at night instead of putting on weight(presuming you want to eat them) if you can't keep them on the ground and locked up at night. I love turkeys they're so delightful to watch and make such great noises. I've never kept them past christmas but quite fancy keeping some adult ones for breeding, any opinions on this greatly received, thanks, Helen

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:27 am »
Thanks everyone.  Great info.  They all come rushing to the door when they hear my voice so hopefully they'll follow me too.  The food will have to stay in their house otherwise the goats will eat it.  We have the field fenced in.  Good to know that you have to get them in early otherwise I think they would roost on the stable roof.  I'll let you know how I get on.  :)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:44:40 am »
OH and I take turns "turkey tossing" at dusk, sounds awful but basically they just don't go in to the very nice custom built accommodation provided. We have 10 who sit on the roof or outside perch and need to be picked up and put into the hut. I don't know why but they just won't go in themselves. Sometimes you can herd them in or coax them in with a hand full of mixed corn but most nights we are out there playing silly bu**ers trying to get them all in.
We have a 5 foot high fence with 4 strands of electric poly-wire around the outside of the enclosure but I am still very anxious about Mr fox.
This is our first year of turkeys and I am really charmed by them. They do make excellent noises and show off magnificently!
With regular turkey tossing you do get to appreciate the weight gain that they are capable of, and they are getting mighty heavy now! :o !

Julia
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS