Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging lambs for showing  (Read 2301 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Tagging lambs for showing
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
I plan to show some lambs, they have single edi tags in already but do I need to also put in the breeding visual tags in as well as they are under 1 year but not going to slaughter- yet.  ( I have bought the tags in pairs ) I’m not keen on putting tags in unless really necessary!

Also do I need to identify each sheep individually or can I just use my flock number as I do when moving / slaughter

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Tagging lambs for showing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:20 am »
Shows are different and each will have its own rules and preferences.  Best to contact the organisers and ask them what they want, then you've got it from the horse's mouth.

For individual ID, I assume you mean on the entry form.  It will depend on the class you are entering.  If you are showing a trio of meat lambs, I don't think you need them to be ID'd individually, as any prize will be to you, and will be recorded as your achievement. You will need to note the breed or cross though. If however, you are showing pedigree sheep, then yes they must be ID'd individually, as it's the animal which wins any prize.  For our breed society shows, they need breed society tags too (but then we don't have lamb classes so their ears are a bit bigger and tougher before they get all those tags in.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:31 pm »
Are you getting slightly confused  , matched pairs of tags MUST both be in place , they have flock number and individual sheep number .  Single slaughter tags are EID but only have a flock number on them . 

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:25:14 pm »
Because I only have a few lambs each year. I buy a set of double ones, use only yellow electronic ones on lambs going to slaughter ( binning the other coloured one ) putting pairs in the ones I keep. I’ve never had any problem at the abattoir but the meat comes back to us. Is this wrong..... should I be buying two different sets of tags.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 02:59:59 pm »
Twotwo - There are three different types of tags:

Slaughter tags - this is a single tag with only your flock number on them.

Standard breeding tags - these come in a pair (same info on each). The yellow one contains the EID chip, and the other one is just visual (i.e. no chip). They have both your flock number and an individual animal number (0001, 0002 etc).

Replacement tags (nb, not the same as replica) - these are like the breeding tags, but are only for a bought in sheep (not bred on your holding) that has lost its original tags. They are coloured red.

Note - If a home-bred sheep loses its tags, you may either replace these with replica tags (i.e. copies with an identical number to the lost one(s) OR replace them with a new pair of breeding tags with your own flock number and the next sequential animal number on them. If you do that, you need to record the change in your flockbook.

So, what it sounds as though you've been doing is tagging slaughter lambs with just the yellow EID tag, when you should have been putting both the EID and the visual tags in. The abbatoir have obviously let this go because their EID readers have picked up the yellow tag, but it isn't the right thing to do.

Most small flock owners only use the double breeding tags and don't bother with slaughter tags, even on lambs destined for slaughter. However, if you do this, you should put both tags in.

Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:34:25 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 03:06:10 pm »
Yes thank you !

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
Ah yes, fair enough Shep.  How's that now?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:55:43 am »
 :thumbsup: Ah Grasshopper ,the pupil has become the master  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 12:24:04 pm »
 :roflanim:

I still can't figure out why my favourite ewe is lame though. The more you learn in this game, the more you realise just how little you know!!

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS