Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding layers to table birds on organic system  (Read 1518 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Feeding layers to table birds on organic system
« on: June 26, 2018, 04:20:24 pm »

Im ordering organic layers in bags from local agent.  As I have less birds buying in 1 tonne bulk is too excessive and the p&p is £50. Its usually around £500.  I cant justify this no longer. I am slowly taking my numbers down.

I can buy from HJ Lea Oaks bags of layers at 17% protein by have to pay a small delivery supplement.  So more I buy the cheaper it will be as I can stock pile in the container (within reason)

Im taking delivery of table birds on Friday so wont need feed for a month.  But thinking of a way of supplementing the 17% to 19% to avoid hassle of buying in more feed with more delivery overhead.  How can I do this or is it impossible due to do as the logistics with organic and finding additional feed because its organic (our farming principals and what we live to).

My last table birds weren't great either.  So information on feeding regimes would be helpful.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Feeding layers to table birds on organic system
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:46 am »
have you thought of switching to fermented feed? Is organic grain more widely available? I think it's significantly cheaper.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Feeding layers to table birds on organic system
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »
Struggle to get organic grain in small amounts.  Not close to any organic growers either

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS