Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my first boar..how to introduce him?????  (Read 2635 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
my first boar..how to introduce him?????
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:38 pm »
hi,could anyone advise me which way is best..putting my boar in with my 2 sows or my sows in with my boar? all are friendly ,fairly placid pigs,the sows are gos x kune kune and boar is large kune kune..they are all same size!any help,advise greatly taken..xx. :pig: :chook: :horse: :&>
'can't rain all the time!'

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: my first boar..how to introduce him?????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »
I think i am right in saying take the boy to the girls, with most animals i also think introduce in a pen etc next to one another if facilities accommodate?
Danielle

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:22 am »
Thank you for that,i thought it would be that way round as had seen it before!buy with so many other animals its the other way..you always seem to take the 'female' to the 'stud' !!!i can pen him within the pen so he can meet them first..great idea..thanks!!! :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:42 am »
We take girls to boys as a boar likes to have his own territory if you do it the otherway round he will spend time marking his turf and pushing your girls around until they know he's boss. It easier if they're in season as he'll try to mate with them straightaway and do his turf stuff later. Putting them in pens next to each other is a good idea, you'll know when they're coming into season as he'll try to get thro the fence to them and they'll be yelling their heads off for him!
The last sow we has to vist our boar had hardly stepped off the trailer and he mounted her there and then, no hello pleased to meet you or anything, we had to wait until he'd finished before we could move the trailer and let her owner go home ;D
HTH
Mandy

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:48 pm »
Mandy, that was a case of "wham, bam, thankyou mam"!  ;D

Eve  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »
We generally take the sows to the boar,as FF says he is then on home ground and concentrating on the visitors !

The sows can stay with the boar until a week before they farrow,so you could run all three together and only remove just before farrowing.

You may want to also think about timing, if you put both girls in with him then it is likely that you will have litters within 21 days of each other,then large period of nothing.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »
Thankyou oaklandspigs! i need to put both in pig asap as one has not had piglets before and ive beeen told sooner rather than later to do it by the vet and also its been over a year since 'Berthas' last litter,dont mind them being close together,thay are really close so im hoping will be happy to have their piglets in same pen together.....hoping!!! your all so nice and helpful on here..ive never joined a forum before its nice to meet like minded peeps..x.x.x.x :pig:

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:38 pm »
lol we do it the other way, i think it because he is esyer to move than some of our stubben sows  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS