Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat housing  (Read 9972 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: Goat housing
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »
hi langdon ere :D how have you stuck those two lenght of timber up along each side of gates to stop
goats from coming out? glue, no nails?
we will be moving at some time and are talking about buying in sheds for goats, after seeing that i think i will do the same, BRILL ;)
langdon :D :goat:

Langdon ;)

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 07:37:26 pm »
Nice house BUT I read this three times as "Ghoust Hunting"" me nuts???? no just daft

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »
they are just a couple of old fence posts, OH put in huge screws to secure them so they are not budging! ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »
I just bought a nice 6x8 pig shed for out goats, they seems to like it when I constructed it in the yard - but I didnt account for the fact that it was to heavy to lift after it was made - doh - so its back down tomorrow and into a trailer to take down to their field.

I also am considering making a little assault course for them to climb around :)

Baz

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »
Would an timber horse box be suitable for a goat house?

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00:39 pm »
Goats will love a bed that is warm and full of deep sweet smelling straw. If they have something to stand on it that's good too, and maybe they can sit underneath that something. Goats get to know their place and then they will love it to pieces. However, goats may choose another dwelling than the one that you have chosen for them! For example, in the winter my pygmy boys get shut in a stable overnight. They are often ready for bed by 3pm and we are in the south. I deep litter and they have rubber matting, they have a grilled window but I shut top and bottom doors. They  are like old grannies and don't settle until they are all shut up. In the summer they choose their bed and its in an open hay barn on top of my landrover !!!!! Be prepared that they may well have a chew on the wood inside, so sturdy and cheap is a good idea.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 06:48:03 am »
Goat housing has always been an interesting subject.

I have approx 35 goats of which 8 are males.  The boys are housed in  2 lots of 3 and a pair of youngsters * horse looseboxes with small courtyards in front.    The girls are housed inside an american barn system - all stables are inside one building - with the milkers in one area that is 16' x20'  and the goatlings in a 16 x10.

The floor is concrete but as we use miscanthus bedding, it is allwed to build up a bit in the winter so it stays warm and in fact to a degree is self drying underneath!!

When the cold really sets in, all the goats have their own individual rugs - includes the boys as well - and I find they stay very well on this regime.  The pregnant ones have the rugs checked weekly and the surcingles are let out accordingly !!

I make these rugs to order - check them out on my website,  www.martins-park.com ,

Everybody has their own ideas for housing, but very often you have to adapt what you have got.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS