Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello! Anyone else in Lancashire?  (Read 810 times)

elliebear15

• Joined Jun 2018
Hello! Anyone else in Lancashire?
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:59 pm »
Hi everyone.
We have just under an acre of grazing (weeds at the moment!) which I am hoping to sort out and get some sheep on.  :sheep:
Need to start by getting rid of the rotten fencing, so we have a secure boundary.
We had no idea when we bought the property of it's money-sucking potential!
I think I will be able to keep 3 sheep with that amount of land, as per other posts on this forum.
Can anyone advise the best way to subdivide the field?
Better in half, or in thirds perhaps? It's a simple rectangular shape with good vehicular access and water supply roughly to the middle, so we can divide however we like really.
Any help and tips gratefully received ...
elliebear

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: Hello! Anyone else in Lancashire?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:59:59 pm »
Hello! We're in Lancashire too - whereabouts are you?

Have sheep too - hebrideans. Good fencing is great for peace of mind and avoiding ending up with last minute emergency jobs. We decided to get it done properly, once (well for the forseeable future) and know it would do the job.

You can probably never have enough paddocks, but more sub-divisions mean more fencing and more gates (which are more expensive to install). Electric may be an option for dividing. Maybe do four paddocks and then you can move them round in a circle between them?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS