Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit and veg laws  (Read 2306 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Fruit and veg laws
« on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:06 am »
Hi

As our fruit trees have a way to go until they are ready, can I feed my 2 pigs (destined for meat) fruit and veg from the supermarket or veg stalls?

Thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Fruit and veg laws
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 11:44:53 am »

From the BPA guide for new pig keepers.

It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs, but this must only be done from those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have (HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority.

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:51:48 am »
Thanks Harmony. I saw that and was none the wiser! To me that says no to supermarket veg as they stock other items....but if packaged elsewhere maybe it is ok?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 01:22:37 pm »
In my recent trading standards inspection the inspector volunteered that feeding items such as vegetables and bread from the supermarket was acceptable as they have the procedures in place.   

I hadn't actually even asked the question- this was volunteered information. Of course these things can be individual interpretation of the rules. And for example, you may need to make sure you aren't carrying your cabbage in the same bag or trip even as your family meat purchase. 

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:32:10 pm »
That's useful to know Pharnorth, thanks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 10:53:00 pm »
You can buy from premises that have the necessary measures in place to prevent cross contamination. So, as Pharnorth has pointed out supermarkets should have the necessary measures in place. Also has Pharnoth has also pointed out be sure you haven't risked cross contamination during the shop or transport. You should also store the "pig stuff" somewhere other than your kitchen.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 11:13:44 pm »

Really for small scale don't worry about detail like this.  The rules are there to stop the scabby big boys taking the mic.  No one on this earth is going to clout you for buying in or taking veg from the fridge for a handful of pigs or carrying a cabbage with a chicken - perish the thought.

Lets face it we are importing feeds from around the world to feed animals.  God only knows how many times the chain is broken or something astray gets in.  Things are going on behind the scenes like these horrific pig farms and things most people don't know about and we are stressing about feeding some pigs some veg waste.

Need to keep a level head  and basic common sense with rules like this.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS