Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore hole and air in taps  (Read 2923 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Bore hole and air in taps
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:53:51 pm »
I am getting a lot of air coming out of my cold water taps which makes for very noisy plumbing.I have a bore hole about 30ft deep with a pressure tank which is set to around 3 I believe.Any less and shower cuts off half way
 through when your underneath it..it's electric. Does any one have any experience of presure tanks/bore holes and theories of where this air is coming from.
Do people on mains water get air problems as well?
I think their is no shortage of water below me ....some kind of underground lake.
I am very careful with water use..never waste it...use rainwater butts for the garden etc
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:01:16 am by juliem »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Bore hole and air in taps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »
I've never seen mains water with any noticeable amount of air in it. There certainly is some air though because when filling central heating systems it is normal to repeatedly bleed the radiators and top-up the system for a few weeks afterwards.

Perhaps you have a small leak somewhere in the suction pipe system which is not sufficient to prevent lifting the water, but does introduce some air?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »
Can't you attach a hose to both taps and turn one on to move the air block?  I'm not a plumber but think I've read that somewhere
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:24:06 pm »
Talked to a couple of bore hole experts (Not many in Telford) and the general consensus is that the water table is getting low with this drought at the moment.
So just have to use sparingly I guess and wait till it rains.....

kernow64

• Joined Dec 2016
  • Brecknockshire
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49:55 pm »
We are on a spring rather than a borehole but the local “well whisperer” has been flat out fixing pumps and dealing with airlocks.

Our tank was not filling and he quickly diagnosed an airlock (at some point the water must have dipped below the level of the intake) and he just removed a stopcock to bleed the system and all is now good again.

Hopefully the heavy rain a couple of days ago will have replenished things but we are still being very careful with water particularly as there is none forecast.

Hope you sort it. :)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:10:49 pm »
Just to update everyone had Morgans from Presteigne come out .They measured the depth of the water and it was still only 3.3 metres down ..the same depth as it was 30 years ago. The borehole is about 15m deep..We have a very high water table in this part of Shropshire .Next he checked the pressure tank (drained and refilled) and this seemed to fix the problem. .No more air coming out of taps...but I suspect the pressure has slightly dropped as now the shower has gone all tempremental.The pressure is set at 2.7....refilling when it drops to 1.7.
Still very careful with the water using grey water for car washes and garden. I regularly check the resevior level of Severn Trent on their website (published weekly)and its lowest at 58% so we are not out of the woods yet.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:20:17 pm »
I see resevior level is 54.9 with Severn Trent on 10/09.Elan Valley in Wales is down to 45% which puts me off going there for the day sightseeing as it' such s a good day out. Bartley Green in B'ham is over 90% (Elan Valley feeds this )which makes me think that the Welsh have got a point about the English stealing their water.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS