Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for meat - which cockerel?  (Read 1953 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Breeding for meat - which cockerel?
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:06 am »
Hello
I hatched some Sussex large fowl eggs and have 1 cockerel and 4 hens from the batch. I was intending breeding for meat but then realised they may all be brothers and sisters (all eggs from single ebay purchase). Should I source a cockerel from another supplier for breeding?
Regards
Sally

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: Breeding for meat - which cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »
I would not breed with them personally for the reasons that you mention. 

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:03:44 pm »
I would try to get a utility rooster from these folk! Their meat lines look really great http://castlefarmeggs.co.uk

I would be buying if I were still in the UK!

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:43:55 am »
Thanks.
I have tried contacting them several times with no luck - then re-checked today and their email address on the website has a comma instead of a full stop - hence why my 'cut and paste' efforts were returned as 'undeliverable.

I have 2 exceptionally large and handsome IG females in with my egg birds, so think I'll put the LS cock in with them for a while. I intentionally have a very mixed batch of layers - white, blue, dark brown and light brown eggs, so that I know who is laying and who isn't. This would mean I can select out the hopefully fertile LS/IG cross eggs for incubation...... exciting!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS