Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey just hatched -what now?!  (Read 1385 times)

ann_of_loxley

• Joined Jun 2018
  • Cumbria UK
Turkey just hatched -what now?!
« on: June 19, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »
So...our first turkey just hatched...So far so good...But he seems rather large in the incubator?!...And is moving about all the other eggs ...  Should I take him out?  Should I leave him in?  Worried about the other eggs.  Brooder is ready ....
???

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Turkey just hatched -what now?!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:11:38 pm »
If he's dry and fluffed up I would move him to brooder just don't leave incubator open to long

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Turkey just hatched -what now?!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:06 pm »
Presumably they’ve all hatched now, but for future reference: opening the incubator must happen as little as possible if there are any eggs left that have already pipped. It’s ok if they haven’t pupped yet,
Each time you open the lid even for just five seconds, there’s this little draft of fresh air and the membrane around the chicks dries out a little bit each time, the humidity getting high again after you’ve closed the incubator does not make the membrane moist again. It makes a difference and can become problematic for the later chicks if it’s a bigger batch.

I ended up buying a bigger incubator to give the chicks more space after hatching (that was my excuse, anyway  ;) )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS