Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infected ears after tagging  (Read 6852 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Infected ears after tagging
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:58 am »
Our lambs were tagged over a month ago, but I've just cut out a second infected ear tag this morning.

The same happened to a couple last year too, so I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong?

We're using Shearwell SET tags, and dip each one in disinfectant before applying it. Is there anything else we should be doing, such as spraying the ear itself?

Thanks!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Infected ears after tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:09:41 am »
I've never seen that, but the majority of my lambs go for meat and they are tagged the morning they go. Sometimes after tagging breeding sheep I see a tag that has been caught in something and pulled through the ear making a bit of a mess. I tend to cut the loop of the tag these days which seems to of sorted out the problem. Could you post a pic of the infection?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:28:53 am »
Disinfectants need a fairly long contact time to be really effective. It varies depending on which one you are using but a 30 minute soak is much much more effective than just dipping in. I put the ear tags in a container with diluted hibiscrub for about 30 mins then take them out as I use them. So far  :fc: no issues

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:37:15 pm »

I use SET tags on both the sheep and the goats - loads of issues with the goats and almost none in the sheep. But I don't tag lambs until the autumn (double tags as mine are not off before they are 18 months or so at the earliest), well past the time I worry about fly-strike. Any mild infection will just heal by itself.

Goat kids - tagged much earlier (single tag and pastern band) and loads of problems - but they are housed of course, so hayracks etc all cause problems.

I don't dip the tag into anything, but blue-spray the ears (for the kids only, lambs just get done…)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »
Never disinfected anything … or had any issues with infected ears. (except when they tear them out) ....  are you sure you are missing veins?  Are flies an issue?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:37:05 am »
I have had some sore/crusty ears but none that were infected and needing the tag cutting out. I do not disinfect the tags but each pair comes in its own bag so not exposed to the environment until opened to use.  Caisley tags.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:39 am »
are you sure you are missing veins?  Are flies an issue?

That's a very good point. I do my best to miss veins of course, but with black ears and wriggly sheep, it's not that easy to be sure! That on its own could account for the one or two who have problems I guess?  (flies aren't too much of a problem here).

Re the disinfection, I reckon that a sheep's ear must have far more bugs on it than any new tag would, hence why I asked about disinfecting ears as well as tags.

The infections so far have been worse than just crustiness, with significant swelling at the base of the ear, pronounced droopiness, and pus. They tend to clear up really quickly once the offending tag is removed though, although I did give last one's a shot of betamox 48 hrs later, since things didn't seem to be getting better, which sorted him out very quickly (bang goes this year's 'antibiotic free' claim for the meat!)

BJ - I did try to get you a photo this morning, but the lamb was having none of it!!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:03 am »
If it were me I would tag them when they are much younger - because they are growing so fast at that point you get less open wound because it grows over. Also they wriggle less :).

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:41:49 am »
I was going to say do them younger too. I did mine this year when I castrated and docked lambs before turnout and think all ears were clean. Have seen lambs tagged much older and always get infected ears.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:42:13 am »
Ah, that's interesting. Mind you, this lot were tagged at three to four weeks old, at the same time as their first heptavac. Surely they're still growing like stink at that point?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 11:59:03 am »
I used to do one tag at 24 hours and the second tag at first vaccination (4-6 weeks).  The one done at 24 hours was always much better in the long term (not that i had any infections, but sometimes some scabs a few weeks later).  So I do them both at 24 hours now.
I think it's a lot to do with the weather too - for mine they would rub their ears when there are flies around.

Lucyyoung

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 05:23:51 pm »
I highly recommend roxan tags, never had an issue  :thumbsup:

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:27:44 pm »
I wonder if the colostrum antibodies provide some support to avoid infection when tagging early - these will have been mostly lost by the time of vaccinations which could then explain the higher rate of issues being mentioned.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:39:19 am »
Interesting.  I do mine early too. Typically within 4 days and never had a problem.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:13 am »
Our lambs were tagged over a month ago, but I've just cut out a second infected ear tag this morning.

The same happened to a couple last year too, so I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong?

We're using Shearwell SET tags, and dip each one in disinfectant before applying it. Is there anything else we should be doing, such as spraying the ear itself?

Thanks![/font

I tag hundreds each year, straight from the packet and never had an issue with infection.

Maybe try NOT dipping in disinfectant? Maybe because you are dipping not soaking, then applying to open wound (which tag would make) the water, which is likely taking on the dirt from your hand, is infecting the ear?? 

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS