Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cocci  (Read 1633 times)

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
Cocci
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:35 am »
Can anyone tell me how soon I can expect a 9 week old kid to pick up after being given Baycox?

She was scouring at the beginning of the week, had a fecal sample checked on Wed and given Baycox on Thursday, early afternoon.

She is still doing sloppy poos, Just wondering if that is normal still after nearly 48 hours? Should I be seeing more improvement by now?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Cocci
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
I have found that they do take a few days to pick up after Baycox, I seem to remember that Vecoxan was quicker (but much more expensive). If she is well in herself, eating and (more importantly) drinking fine I would just watch. I have found that giving a scouring goat (adult or kid) some slippery elm powder (in their milk for kids, water and rehydration stuff for the adults) may help to dry them up. If you can also weigh her and again in a few days/a week or so to see if she is gaining or losing weight - I found mine with a mystery scour earlier this spring were still gaining weight...

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:31:38 pm »
Thanks Anke

Will have a look for that, and I had thought about weighing her again. Just not that appealing when She's covered in poo! Time for a bath!

Reassuring, thank you x

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:47:06 am »

Hiya, me again!

How much slippery elm would I add, Anke?
A teaspoon? And is that an on going thing to do, or a one off type thing?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 03:26:25 pm »

Hiya, me again!

How much slippery elm would I add, Anke?
A teaspoon? And is that an on going thing to do, or a one off type thing?

A couple of teaspoons, it doesn't mix particularly well into warm milk, but a good shake and they drank it well.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »
Thanks very much you two for your replies.

I have given them all a teaspoon in their milk, which was before I saw the replies, so will give another. Really hoping this turns it around as I hate seeing all their little dirty bottoms. All seem well otherwise with good appetites and eating plenty of hay I think.

Is there any reason why the Baycox wouldn't have done it's job? I mean how accurate does the dosage need to be? I had the weights of the kids from 3 weeks previous and made an educated guess.

I can't have been far out, as I had weighed them fairly regularly from birth and just followed the kind of arc they were on!

Just wondering if I have missed something  ???

They are all still jolly noisy and lively, so not keeling over just yet!

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 07:22:15 pm »
I think, dare I say it, that we have improvement today. Definitely less runny poo randomly everywhere, and spotted a couple of more clumped up ones. Fingers crossed that we are on the mend. Can't take much more!

I did give them some bran flakes this morning too.

We have sunshine forecast tomorrow...thinking I may give them all a bit of a wash down so I can see what's what!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS