Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Replacement Tags & numbering  (Read 1127 times)

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
Red Replacement Tags & numbering
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:04:54 pm »
Last year I bought a ewe with lambs at foot: the ewe was tagged properly but the lambs weren't tagged at all. I didn't really understand the rules properly, and ended up tagging them with twin (yellow & blue) tags with my own holding number on. I've now understood that they should either be tagged with their location of birth, or with red tags with my holding number on to mark them as interlopers.

So I was going cut out my yellow and blue tags and replace them with red replacement tags with the same details that they're already tagged with. But when I went to order the red tags, it seems I can't order red tags with the same animal numbers I already gave them - it indicates that 'the ministry will allocate the next available numbers'. Now I'm confused again - what will those numbers be and how will they be determined?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Red Replacement Tags & numbering
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:05 pm »
Will be your flock number and whatever individual numbers come next after your last order
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:12:05 pm »
Aah, ok. Cheers. Presumably it doesn't matter then that my flock will be numbered seemingly at random - 3, 4, 5, 21, 22, provided the flock book is clear and correct?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:33 am »
Yes that is correct.  When you fill in your flock book, write a brief explanation of what happened.  Do you know if the ewe was born on the holding you bought it from?  If so then her ear tags should give you the flock number of the vendor, to cross reference in your book.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:06 am »
Yup, she was born there and I have all the details from the movement license, too. Thanks.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:16:07 pm »
You are stressing when no need . Since the lambs were not tagged then I assume only the ewe is recorded on the movement document and then the lambs were BORN on your holding and you tagged them correctly !!  The main thing is that the lambs are tagged  and no one will care what colour the tags are . The person who sold them is to blame not you , personally I wouldn't give it a second thought .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS