Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A public thank you to SallyintNorth and the Accidental Smallholder  (Read 1273 times)

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
She's going to be very confused about this post as she has no idea how much help she's been!

One of my lambs went off its front legs 2 weeks ago - the only pedigree ewe lamb I've ever had from a 6 year old ewe with lovely breeding. One I was determined to keep in the flock. Always the way isn't it...

Took her to the vets who were completely bemused by her symptoms but diagnosed joint ill despite her age (12 weeks), living conditions (out in a new field with the other weaned lambs) and general demeanor (very perky, eating and drinking well and passing stools and urine). We were prescribed Synulox and Metacam but after 8 days of daily injections of Synulox and 3 separate injections of Metacam, she still wasn't standing up.

I'd already Googled myself crazy and searched every forum I could think of to try and figure out what was wrong with her. The fallen stock man was on call to come euthanise her the following day, and then I spotted a post from Sally on someone else's thread on this forum, mentioning lambs off their legs due to tick bites (a condition called tick pyemia).

Phoned the vets who prescribed different drugs (Pen and Strep) and two days into the treatment, she's fully weight baring on one front leg and putting the toe of the other leg to the floor too! Still early days and whilst I'm hopeful she'll make a full recovery, I'm not counting my chickens, but the difference is absolutely dramatic, and we'd never have got this far without that post and this forum, so here's a very heartfelt THANK YOU!  :thumbsup: :fc: :thumbsup:

Josiejo

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: A public thank you to SallyintNorth and the Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:59 am »
That's lovely, this forum is such a valuable resource, especially to someone like me who is relatively new to keeping sheep. Hope your lamb makes a good recovery. X

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: A public thank you to SallyintNorth and the Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
Very glad you spotted my post and that the lamb seems to be on the mend  :relief:

And thanks are never necessary but always welcome  :-*

And actually, we should thank the ex-BH.  It was he who made the link between ticks and the problems with the lambs on his ground.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:36:03 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS