Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drinker systems for outdoor pigs  (Read 3490 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Drinker systems for outdoor pigs
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:05:03 am »
I've said I'll research options for pig drinkers for our outdoor pens.

First stop - TAS! 

What do you all use and what are the pros and cons?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Drinker systems for outdoor pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:16:03 am »
We use an automatic drinker fed by a big tank that we fill with a hose. All pipes to the drinker need to be well protected otherwise the pigs eat them but some stout woodwork around the pipes hasn't failed us.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
What automatic drinker is it, Sally?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:19 pm »
We've got one of these:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/general-galvanised-water-trough-14l

Connected to MDPE pipe that connects to a tank that fills off a spring. It isn't huge but is big enough for three 5-month old Tamworths to get their snouts in. I put a post either side with a cross piece to reduce the chance of them flipping it over and dug in the pipe. The whole thing backs on the electric fence so they can't get round the sides to dig at the pipe. No problems at all so far.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:44:13 pm »
Thanks both.

Does anyone use, or have used in the past, the nipple-type drinkers?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 07:06:17 am »
We use the same 14l drinkers for our sows and the big 120L black plastic cow drinkers for our grower pens.
We also use the smaller 2.5l metal drinkers for our micropigs. All pipework is run underground to point of use here.

My step-dad had lots of nipple drinkers on his farm but that was mostly brick sties, i worry about using them in the wide open and also less useful during a freeze, once frozen you're stuffed. At least with one of the above drinkers you've got something to manually fill if you need to.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:35 am »
I really struggle with the galvanised ones Bionic is using with leaks. I found the nipple feeder a better as mentioned with no water reservoir there is always a concern if the supply is frozen/ interrupted. So I have also now installed a plastic trough protected by large wooden posts.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:36 pm »
We don't keep pigs over winter, so the plan would be to drain the system down when the pigs go, so shouldn't be at risk of freezing in the winter.

The small bowl troughs are an interesting idea, with the added bonus they'd work for sheep.  (Although they'd probably get damaged by cattle and ponies ::))

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 02:36:48 pm »
With my Berkshires I have occasionally been concerned that if you introduce them to the nipple feeders as adults their mouth geometry makes it hard for them to get the hang of the small bowls

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 05:12:07 pm »
I don't keep pigs over winter so haven't encountered the problem

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS