Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Sheering....folding up the fleece  (Read 2613 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Sheep Sheering....folding up the fleece
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »
The chap I rent my fields to is having someone come to sheer the sheep this Sat.....the chap is coming on his own for the first time...and so he will be short of someone to fold the fleeces up. He has about 35 ewes.

Never having done this before..is it complicated and should I volunteer?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Sheep Sheering....folding up the fleece
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:08:20 pm »
It isn't complicated but they aren't just bundled up in a heap.

If you want to volunteer then I am sure you can find out how to do it on utube or even ask him to show you how to do the first one.

I find that the professional shearers are pretty quick so you have to be on the ball moving the fleece out of the way so that he can get on with the next one.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:41:09 am »
You will be better off just having a large tarp laid out ready where you can "put" the fleeces (either lay them out flat or just put in mini piles,, whatever way is easiest so that you can separate them later). Then once the shearer has gone, you can go through the fleeces and roll them up properly at your own pace. There is no way you will keep up with the speed of the shearer :).

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:43:34 am »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 04:37:53 pm »
As Foobar says.  Main thing is to,get them out of the shearers way and put somewhere clean. I put mine on a large tarpaulin and fold it over them as soon as done to keep them cleanish then can roll and bag later after a nice cup of tea.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:58:26 am »
The chap I rent my fields to is having someone come to sheer the sheep this Sat.....the chap is coming on his own for the first time...and so he will be short of someone to fold the fleeces up. He has about 35 ewes.

Never having done this before..is it complicated and should I volunteer?

Let us know how you got on ?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:30:54 pm »
Yes we got it done with some help and tips from the shearer .Surprised the fleeces were so delicate and initially had difficulty laying the fleeces out on the ground .Never did manage to recognize the head from the tail .All a bit rough and ready .Assume sheep kept for their wool have more robust fleeces .The shearer emphasized that it needs to be rolled as small /tight as possible. Bits with faeces on were put to one side(not sure if I WAS BEING A BIT TOO SELECTIVE /FUSSY) and I have put these round my runner beans.(shearer suggested this.) Is this to deter slugs ? What do other owners do with these bits as they won't burn
General consensus was that the pay for the fleeces was not going to be a lot....so not worth putting a great deal of effort into presentation.
The lanolin coating on my hands was a unexpected bonus but not the bruises on my arms.
Only did 28 ewes so will have another go next year and hopefully perfect my technique.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:20:40 am »
Friend did mine Saturday , but as I was being bitten by horseflies (No advance warning from him, he just turned up, so no chance to put long sleeved shirt on), I had to leave them to it while I dashed off for cream and tablet, when I got back he'd put it all in his vehicle, I would have liked to see the fleece off my white one, it looked good while it was still on her. ?.
Fleece is supposed to deter slugs, but also breaks down and feeds soil, along with any muck washing through of course.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 12:44:54 pm »
Will ask you to come and do mine juliem now your a professional  ;D    three shearers  400+ sheep  maybe 5hrs with food breaks ,  what do you think  :innocent:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:26 pm »
Took me more than 5 hours to shear my 22 ewes over two sessions this weekend, thankfully it did give my budding vet student assistant plenty time to roll fleeces as I sheared!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 06:05:30 pm »
You can put dags in your water but for the garden :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS