Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thistles in pasture!!  (Read 5318 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Thistles in pasture!!
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:25:53 am »
Good morning all. 

With the recent warm weather and a few showers of rain to help things grow, our fields (approx 15 acres of grazing pasture) now make it look as though we are thistle farmers!  I have never seen so many thistles in my life. 

I am desperately trying to organise a neighbour to come over and top them before they all go to seed and make the situation worse, but this is only a temporary 'fix', so taking a longer term view, what are my options here to get the fields back to reasonable 'thistle-free' grassland? 

Ideally I would like to avoid spraying with glyphosate as I would prefer not to use chemicals if I can avoid it, but am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I may not have any choice. 

I do not have any tractors/quad/etc available at the moment due to financial constraints, so any kit used will be contracted in for the time being. 

Any thoughts anyone?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Thistles in pasture!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:35:00 am »
I'd ask around and get a contractor to spray them with Agritox (MCPA) which will kill the thistle and leave the grass. They should all die back quite quickly and then you'll need a backpack sprayer to spot spray any that return (I don't think Agritox is licenced for backpack spraying)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:50:53 am »
Fell Ponies :). :hughorse:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:34:27 am »
If topping thistles do it in july. June is too soon as they need to have come into flower, but ideally not quite seeded. If they've not yet flowered they will soon grow back as that is their purpose in life!
There is a useful rhyme quoted by old farmers:

Cut them in May they'll be back in a day.
Cut them in June it's still too soon.
Cut in July they'll surely die.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:33 am »
Grazon spot spray?
Or get a lazy dog tool - although it sounds like you have quite a few.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:47:59 am »
We have loads of thistles this year too.

Our neigbour told us that that each plant comes up every two years. Can anybody confirm?

(oh, and if you cut them in May, June AND July, they still live. Same with hard rushes  >:(  )
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »
There are two types of thistle we tend to get in pasture, sometimes three.  There's spear thistle which is the big very spikey one with large deep purple flowers which grow as individual plants and are spread by seed.  Then there is creeping thistle, much smaller and more slender, with small pale blue, sweetsmelling flowers beloved by honey bees.  These spread by underground roots which go on forever in a network, so they tend to form large areas of infested pasture.  Last and least is cirsum rivulare which has small darker leaves, purple flowers and grows in clumps.  It is also sold as a garden plant, and is the easiest to eradicate by pulling.

Spear thistle should ideally be dug up when the flower spike is up but the flower has not opened.  If after digging you dump them in a heap then the flower bud will still open and seeds will form.  By digging then, even if you don't get the whole root there will be no strength left for regrowth (you hope).  Spear thistle has a long tap root, which brings many minerals to the surface, is, amazingly, relished by sheep, but will deplete your pastures when removed.

Creeping thistle can be controlled more easily by frequent close mowing, several times a year,and it's best to collect the mowings especially if you have sheep, as the fleece will pick them up.

If it's spear thistle you have then the idea of hand digging 15 acres is beyond dedication, but we have been removing ours by hand from 9 acres for the past few years.  The first year we dug three huge piles and burnt the lot, this year we have only found three wheelbarrowsful, so we're gradually getting there.  We eradicated ragwort over a few years by the same method, although the occasional seed floats in.  Hand digging spear thistle is a skill (which I've made sure I'm bad at  :innocent: ) as you have to get all the root out.  We have had no success with cutting, only digging.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
We bought a RagFork last year, but its great for docks and tnistles as well.  Keep doing an hour or so and  its very satisfying to see the pile build up. In all we probably have about 5 acres, but hoping the goats will deal with the other 10. (Thats a thought, get some goats, fascinating to watch them bite the flowers off ?)
But I'm running late this year, they are starting to flower, that doesn't bother me too much, I'll let the bees have their buzz then go with a pair of shears or secateurs and a wheelbarrow or trug, taking tne tops off before seeding, gives me breathing space to dig them later.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »
If topping thistles do it in july. June is too soon as they need to have come into flower, but ideally not quite seeded. If they've not yet flowered they will soon grow back as that is their purpose in life!

And by August they're gone to dust :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:18:16 pm »
Well not sure if we did the right thing but we spot srayed with grazon about two weeks ago and they have all wilted and withered.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »
Some really useful advice here, thank you all! 

Last night I clobbered as many as I could with a strimmer for a solid 3hrs and barely made a dent, so the thought of digging them all out is something I really do not fancy doing!

We have at least two different sorts of thistles, spear and creeping, but FAR more creeping that spear.   Having read about the creeping thistle it sounds like a right pain to get rid of! 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 07:44:05 pm »

Rather depends on where you are and weather ....  Cut just before flowers become seeds WHENEVER that is where you are.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
You set me off Maysie, been digging a load up this afternoon, the special fork makes it relatively easy, and I'm trying to convince myself there are  less than last year, but that's been difficult. Nice to see a clear area though.
I try and clear a strip through, then work back across the area I split off, so a smaller area is not so daunting. Divide and conquer  ????

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:20 pm »
We spot teeated creeping thistle from an acre using TDK. It took me 9 hours but got rid of them. With a greater area, a broadleaf herbicide should work if you get a contractor in. We have found it works best at the rosette stage.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 08:24:55 pm »
Actually I've found the easiest and absolutely least labour intensive way to get rid of thistles is to get some donkeys. But for 15 acres you would need rather a lot!

I have a couple of @ 2.5 acre fields. I grazed the bulk of the grass down first with sheep and then put 3 donkeys on from mid summer and through the winter and by next spring I realised that most of the thistles had gone. They also, of course, ensured the pasture was clear of sheep worms for grazing the ewes and lambs the next season. :sheep:   :thumbsup:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS