Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on sheep breeds please  (Read 13094 times)

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
advice on sheep breeds please
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
We have posted on various other parts of the forum, having moved to West Wales in April 08.  We have two fields (one about 7 acres and 1 about 4) which we did nothing to this year just to see what came up in the way of grasses, wildflowers etc.  We are in many minds about how to manage the land (it hasn't been treated in any way for at least 12 years and we would continue not using chemicals) as one of our priorities is conservation (we have a stream with some rare beasties in and we are avid bird watchers), and so many people have suggested sheep.  Husband and kids are keen, but I have visions of rotting feet and maggotty bottoms (especially if we go chemical free which we want to) and also the difficultly in finding someone to shear a small flock.
Any advice for complete novices welcomed - we are keen to learn, would do courses, and would eat both lamb and mutton so we could certainly make full use out of a small flock.  If we go for it would you suggest any breeds (preferably OK with wet as we are in Wales, and as friendly as possibly as the kids are sheep mad), is it worth going for a no shearing breed, and how many sheep would make an impact on our land and be manageable for novice smallholders to look after and keep fit and healthy. `Also when is the best time to buy (and would we buy some older ewes that are proven mums) so we can maximise the impact on the grass next year.  We have a fancy for Ryelands, but any advice/ideas would be warmly welcomed. Thanks

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: advice on sheep breeds please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »
Hi
I live in the foothills of the Cambrian Mountains and breed both coloured & white Ryelands. Ryelands are renowned for having good feet and are really docile most of mine will come when you call them and especially if you have food.
More information about the breed can be found on the Ryeland Flock Book Society web site. Hope you decide to buy some as you won't regret it and you are always welcome to come and see mine at close quarters. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:26:15 pm »
How about Mini sheep ? Ouessants great fun and the kids will love their size also very hardy native to the north coast of france . will need shearing though.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:25:21 pm »
What about the Llanwenog? I don't know anything about it personally but I've just read an article about it in the RBST Ark magazine Autumn 2007.

It's Welsh, it's very docile with a respect for fences; it's prolific and easy natured, often happy to atke orphan lambs; good carcase; it's a rare breed www.llanwenog-sheep.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:30:30 pm »
Link doesn't work - try this one

www.llanwenog.org/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

redfox

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »
Hi.

I have 2 sheep that i raise organically. I've had them just over a year and have had no trouble ie maggotty bottoms ect. They are texal/Jacob cross. I also have 2 Angora goats which need shearing aswell as the sheep. I have  a guy that comes to shear mine and he is absolutely AMAZING with them. He speaks so slowly and gently to them, i think he must enchant them. He has no problem doing a small flock (he will be coming in a few days to shear my 2 goats). He told me that one of his customers moved to France and he would travel over by ferry to shear them. Depending on how many you have he may even do yours. Let me know if you need his number.

Regards,

Redfox

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »
Hi,

Fully understand your situation having recently taken the plunge, opting for Llanwenogs. Very pleased we opted for them, they're an attractive black faced breed with a short dreadlock mop, come running to a bucket of feed, making it easy to round them up (unless you have a sheep dog!) and they are not too large - an important point to consider when you need to handle them - pedicures can be a bit hard on the back and I'm thinking of getting a rollover crate.
They would be ideal with young ones as they are very docile and if you decide to breed they have very respectable lambing stats close to 2.
Best not to get too many when starting out as it gives you a chance to get to know them and get paranoid reading up about all the things they can catch, they say it's a continual learning curve.
With 11 acres, something like 15 - 20 would keep the grass down and allow you to make hay (in sunny Wales) or silage and not have too large a task on your hands.

Best of luck
Noggie

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:59 pm »
hi, we have had a flock of ryelands for 3 years and have certainly had ups and downs with this breed also being first time sheep smallholding. I would say a main consideration is time as we have found that sheep are high maintenance, foot trimming on our ryelands is non stop as they are on soft pasture most of the time. other breeds will wear theirs down and hardly need doing.They are very easy to handle in fact when we put the livestock trailer in to move them, one call and they all load themselves almost comical no dogs or shouting and they will go anywhere after a food bucket. weve yet to find a shearer that like ryelands because of fleece on legs and head not many people like shearing them,also have them sheared early to avoid fly problems. ryelands tend to get fat very easily and must be kept on short grass once their overweight you will have difficulty getting them in lamb. If youve loads of grass put cattle in first or strip graze with electric netting. we bought ours as shearlings 1 year old lambs we also bought an older ewe with lamb which gives experience to a young flock. all ours lambed first time most needed some help delivering. we also use a commercial fly treatment through the summer as without it they will be eaten alive,this year was the worst so far because of wet then warm weather any fly strike must be picked up early. 8 in 1 vaccine and regular worming is also essential. weve now got three lambs in the freezer and i must say not being a great lamb fan the taste of the meat is fantastic melt in your mouth so its worth it in the end.  best of luck sorry rambling on cheers neil

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:59:49 pm »
Hello,
     Have you thought about Hebrideans or Soays. Whilst not a full on meat sheep they are very tasty and being a primitive breed are extremely hardy and low maintenance.

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 07:34:11 am »
Sheep are high maintenance. I'd agree with what's been said about the Ryeland - except the meat 'cos we're not there yet. Our shearer nearly had a fit - I don't know if he'll come back next year, except for a bribe!

The primitive breeds might be easier in some respects - took the shearer a jif to shear my friend's Shetlands, compard to ours but I always know where mine are i.e. within shouting distance of a bucket. If we had a primitive breed in the same circumstances, they woudl be long gone for a wander around the countryside!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 05:28:41 pm »
depends on how you train them mine will come to the sound of me arriving in the car let alone seeing me turn up with a bucket.  took some visitors up there the other day they stil mugged them!  when i first got mine I used to trudge to the end of the field to see them disappear into the distance.  only one way to a sheeps heart, food!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:26:31 pm »
we also use a commercial fly treatment through the summer as without it they will be eaten alive,this year was the worst so far because of wet then warm weather any fly strike must be picked up early. 8 in 1 vaccine and regular worming is also essential.

Neil is absolutely spot on, you should also read the thread re blowfly strike. You may want to be chemical free, but believe me, I would rather use chemicals than watch my sheep die from being eaten alive by maggots, and I've seen that happen (not our sheep I might add, but one on a hill farm).

I do find even a small flock of sheep high maintenance (I don't actually like sheep hugely for this reason), god only knows why I find them high maintenance compared to our goats, but maybe its just because the goats are so much easier to handle. I do love having lamb in the freezer in the autumn though.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:00 am »
I only have 7 sheep at present and have only been keeping sheep for the last 10 months. I had 2 gritstones which I fattened for the freezer and am going to do the same again as the meat was delicious and I may have a slight shortfall untill I have my own lambs. I bought 5 Ryeland ewes who will have their first lambs next year. I have an older Ryeland ram - Archie and a mule lamb that I hand reared this year. She is a pet and will not let her go to the tup until next year. I have found keeping the sheep quite easy. Being a small flock they have become very tame and will follow me into the stable to be checked over. I now treat, inject and trim them all myself. My brother-in-law sheared them for me - quite a task, he could not believe how much wool they had. Next year I will have a go at shearing Archie as he is a softie and just stands there and lets you do anything! I have not found any foot problems - maybe it is still early days. On the whole as long as I keep track of what needs to be done when I have found it very easy. Just booked a weeks holiday for lambing in March - another learning curve no doubt  ;D
Karen

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:19:50 pm »
I have over 50 ryeland sheep and have kept this breed for years. Foot problems only usually occur if you neglect their feet. I have mine in every 4 weeks to trim and inspect their feet and very seldom do they  have problems.This is also  good time to have a good look at them all. Sheep can be high maintenance but only if you neglect them. Get into a good routine and this keeps major problems to a minimum. They cannot do this theirselves so it is up to us as sheep owners to look after them. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:06 pm »
Thankyou all so much. We've had help with every q we've put on this forum, absolutely brilliant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS