Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs eating horse feed  (Read 13065 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Pigs eating horse feed
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:20:05 am »
I folks I have got my first 2 pigs was a bit of a expedition with the baby and the 2 of them in the back of a suzuki wagon r but we made it the babay was oinking by the time we got home !!
I get the chance of horse feeding now and then mainly racehorse feeding cubes,coursemix oats etc do you think this would be ok to feed to pigs instead of buying pig feeding ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Pigs eating horse feed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:04:45 am »
no. plus the horse stuff is more expensive. the pig stuff has the right mix for pigs the horse stuff is only a sup feed for horses. we pay 7 quid for pig food and 8 plus for horse cool mix.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:32:55 am »
Agree Shetland paul, don't give horse mix to pigs. It hasn't got the right protein in it to make your pigs fatten and as he says horse feed is more expensive. Here in N Yorks you can buy good quality pig feed from the local ag merchant for around £6.50/bag (25kg) 16% protein sow/weaner nuts.
We found the horses will eat pig nuts they love a handful as a treat, i always have pig nuts in my jacket pocket and they nuzzle like billio for some if i'm passing their fence after feed ing the pigs.
Watch out as well that pigs and horses don't generally get on too well. Horses are often spooked by them and my boar and our labrador love chasing the horses down the length of the fence for fun!! :)
Enjoy your piggies
Best Mandy

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:19:17 pm »
Horses hate pigs!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »
Lol good photo. My horses have no problem at all with the pigs. They quite happily pop heads over the fence and go muzzle to snout :-)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:37:31 pm »
I may not have said this right I get horse feed for FREE ! and its sports nuts or course mix with a 15- 16% protien level
I have tried my piggys on it and they seem to love it matter a fact i think they have grown evry day lol

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »
my horses live quite hapily witht he pigs too  ;) we even have a pony that grooms a pig lol

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:18 pm »
i get pegasus cubes cheap from a supplier and alot of people feed their pigs it round here,i mix it with an oatmeal type pellet(for pigs) for my kune kune's as im not trying to fatten them,i find it fits the bill for them just nicely..i do however feed 'sow and weaner' to my breeding stock and its only £6.50 for 20kg's as its the right feed for the job.. :pig:
'can't rain all the time!'

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
what about the vit levels and minerals. the expert pig people will be able to say what a pig needs more or less of than a horse. but if its free or cheap your a very lucky person. it may be worth looking at adding the vits. if they have a grass run or soil i imagine its not going to be a big deal.

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:40:45 am »
our pig feed just jumped up 1.60   and we are now paying 9.10 euro for 25 kg bags we using a bag a day so it aint cheap.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:37:33 am »
9.10 for a 25 kilo bag thats extortionate.  Where are you?

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:59:06 am »
We are based in co donegal ireland, makes you want to get out of pig keeping, i think they are talking of another rise in feed next month due to russian wheat export ban, irish farmers are getting a higher price per ton of wheat, its very hard to sell stock here at the moment as the market is flooded and we are in an isolated part of the county,

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:29:16 am »

I am now paying £8 for a 20kg bag of pig grower, this has gone up from £7.45 last month.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:34 pm »
Mine has gone up 2c. per kilo bringing a bag to 5 euros for 25kg.  I suppose I am lucky, although am cutting back the herd fearing a big rise in feed costs during the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS